• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eduation vs. Work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MIZZ~J

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
*EDUCATION VS. WORK
I have continued to pursue my education and have maintained a full time position in school...I continue to chose to have a part time job due to this, and with an upcoming court date (divorce issues..not CS) can I be ordered to obtain a full time job? Is this possible if my STBX tries to modify his CS order? Can I be imputed as full time salary with me only have a PT and continue w/ school FT?
Also, if my income/expense declaration shows that my monthly debt surpasses my actual income will I be forced to get a FT?
Will it help to leave out information for payments I'm responsible for but under my father's name?

Last edited:

Gracie3787

*EDUCATION VS. WORK
I have continued to pursue my education and have maintained a full time position in school...I continue to chose to have a part time job due to this, and with an upcoming court date (divorce issues..not CS) can I be ordered to obtain a full time job? Is this possible if my STBX tries to modify his CS order? Can I be imputed as full time salary with me only have a PT and continue w/ school FT?
Also, if my income/expense declaration shows that my monthly debt surpasses my actual income will I be forced to get a FT?
Will it help to leave out information for payments I'm responsible for but under my father's name?
No, a court cannot force you to work full time. However, the court can impute full time income to you since going to school full time and working part time is voluntary underemployment.

You should always be completely honest on your income/expense declaration. What debts of yours are in your father's name, and why aren't they in your name?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Why should your ex subsidize your choice to not fully support yourself and the child(ren)? Perhaps he'd have more time to raise the kids.

truebluemd

*EDUCATION VS. WORK
The judge could calculate your hourly pay at full time status rather than your actual schedule. Either that, or you will be imputed.

Frankly, what you are doing is putting your need for education before your childs needs for clothes, shelter, and food. That is how the judge will see it, and if he is pissed off enough, he could impute your income at a higher hourly rate than what you are making now.

Humusluvr

*EDUCATION VS. WORK
Be honest - but be realistic. First thing, you should have a full time job. When you have babies, your first duty is to support them. You can go to school part time or full time - whatever.

You will probably be imputed a wage at a full time amount.. You either work FT, go to school FT or PT, or make aome other plan where you support your kids.

MIZZ~J

I don't exactly have my father's name on anything but because I live with my parents I don't technically pay for rent...I help with bills but those are in his name.
My STBX has never mentioned having the majority of the physical custody for the children, and I wouldn't allow it either. I'm not there every single hour of the day but they are cared for in my home and I make sure they're fed and sheltered.
If I have accounts open with debt in my name and fail to mention them what happens?
Or basically what I want to know is, is it benificiary to me to have a higher amount of expenses or less expenses? I don't want them to take away from the CS paid to me, I know I should get a FT but I manage with what I get and have the chance to go to school.

Gracie3787

I don't exactly have my father's name on anything but because I live with my parents I don't technically pay for rent...I help with bills but those are in his name.
My STBX has never mentioned having the majority of the physical custody for the children, and I wouldn't allow it either. I'm not there every single hour of the day but they are cared for in my home and I make sure they're fed and sheltered.
If I have accounts open with debt in my name and fail to mention them what happens?
Or basically what I want to know is, is it benificiary to me to have a higher amount of expenses or less expenses? I don't want them to take away from the CS paid to me, I know I should get a FT but I manage with what I get and have the chance to go to school.
I have a unique solution for you- just be honest about what you truly pay for. End of problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">