• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Electric fence & toddlers--any advice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LoveMama

stevieN said:
I live in Indiana also. I would like to know how you would feel if the "dipstick's" horse's would come through the fence and , tear up your yard, run over your kids, or eat your beautiful flowers? There is a law in Indiana that states that you have to have your livestock, cows, horses, etc in a enclosure that contains them from public roads, personal property, etc. we live on 15 acres have the entire area fenced and electrified, Our "wonderful neighbors" would sue the pants off us if our horses were to go through and even be on their property. There is something wrong here with the laws and it seems to be called the sue syndrome. People who are trying to do right by containing their animals are going to be Damned if they do and Damned if they don't. If you are in the country and horses are allowed then maybe you should consider moving to the city so there your children wouldn't have to worry about getting shocked by a responsible neighbors fence, just kidnapped or ran over by Drunk drivers. Teach your Children well. One last thing, the only require we know about for electric fence is that you post a sign every so many feet to let the public be aware thats it is electric. Also if you are concerned with the horses reaching over the fence to chew a fence you put up then obviously it isn't electric.
Stevie N,
I grew up on a farm that contained electric fence to keep the animals in, and they still got out. Electric fence does not keep animals in, nor will it prevent my idiot neighbor's horses from getting out and destroying our property. You can be sure that when that does happen, we will require that he pay for any real damage done to our property. As for living in the country, we lived here for almost a year when we first met our neighbor (who was just moving in). He knew at the time we had a baby and another on the way, and we expressed our concern over the horses. He reassured us at the time that it would be all fine and dandy and fit to be next to our $350,000 home. It was our intent to keep a good relationship with him, but he has done nothing but erect a house that does not meet minimum square footage requirements and then move a bunch of "wannabe" farmer junk to the front of his yard where it is in plain view. This is another story, though, and is against zoning ordinances and is being handled by the trustee.

The real problem here seems to be lack of respect with people in general. All eight neighbors on our road have complained about the eyesore he has already created, and he is certainly going to be damned if he puts up a trashy fence among all these nice houses with nice wooden fences. People should be able to do what they want on their own property within reason, but they should also use common sense and try to be respectful before they do it. There was plenty of other property for the dipstick to build his house on, but he chose this area and should at least attempt to make his home and yard look decent. Money is not an issue for him, and if he had half a brain he would use electric fence within the rest of the fence to help reduce the chances of children being electrocuted. Signs do have to be erected every 100 feet, but a one-year-old and a three-year-old cannot read, let alone see the fine wires of the electric fence. The idiot is not attempting to be responsible; if he were, he would use a nicer fence with the electric ran inside it.

We are working on resolving this issue without suing dipstick in court (the nickname dipstick is much less offensive than how we normally refer to him). At this point we plan to put up our own hogtight fence on the property line (which will be plastic) so that he has to pay half of it. We would never erect a fence if it weren't for him, so I think this is very fair. The other option is to build a six foot berm between us and him so we can pretend he doesn't exist. The drawback is it won't keep our kids away from idiot 100%, but it will give us more time to grab them before they get electrocuted.

Yes, we need to teach our children well. I suppose that's the reason I am a teacher. My children need to learn that when all other options are eliminated, sometimes you have to take the nasty route and use the judicial system that we are granted as citizens of the United States. If you don't like that, maybe you should move to another country.

a

Finally, kidnapping and drunk driving occur everywhere. If you think living in the country makes you immune from it, you need to read the newspaper more often.

S

stevieN

Electric fence and Toddlers

If you do indeed live in a 350,000 home then why would a fence hinder you? take some of that money and put up a beautiful fence and if it is a restricted neighborhood then how did he move in? If you truely grew up on a farm then you should have knowledge of all the requirements of the law concerning livestock and fence and if you have to chase your kids so they don't get shocked then you need to use some of your high education to teach then what getting shocked is And if you are a teacher and you act this way, God help the kids your schooling, as far as moving to another country, are you an american citizen? because I wouldn't throw that at some one who has lived in this country and had family fight and die for this country, where are you from anyway and what does A stand for?

D

dubby46

... and what happens to the fence when they lose power? Do they have a generator?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">