• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emergency Treament of Child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

penelope10

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Hey All,

Lil Bit had her ankle and foot run over yesterday afternoon. The Mom that normally takes her home was out of town. Lil Bit rode home with her best friend and that girl's 17 year old brother. The driver thought she had completely stepped away from the car and started to drive away. He ended up driving over her foot and her ankle. When she screamed he panicked, put the car in reverse, and backed over her foot and ankle.

I work until 8, so she called her Dad and he took to her the emergency room. (Although I could have left work had I known about this) Right now she has been diagnosed with a severe sprain with a possible fracture. She is to return according to the paperwork in 2 days to be reevaluated.

I found out nothing about this until Lil Bit called me on my way home. Her Dad never tried to contact me. He has both my cell phone and my work phone number. (I provided my work # via registered mail when I took the job, plus the county clerk's office and the State Registry).

It is in our decree that we both are to notify one another in situations such as
this. I know nothing about the follow up except what is on the paperwork from the emergency center.

I want to handle this a diplomatically as possible., however, at the same time I am a little upset that Dad never called me to fill me in. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Hey All,

Lil Bit had her ankle and foot run over yesterday afternoon. The Mom that normally takes her home was out of town. Lil Bit rode home with her best friend and that girl's 17 year old brother. The driver thought she had completely stepped away from the car and started to drive away. He ended up driving over her foot and her ankle. When she screamed he panicked, put the car in reverse, and backed over her foot and ankle.

I work until 8, so she called her Dad and he took to her the emergency room. (Although I could have left work had I known about this) Right now she has been diagnosed with a severe sprain with a possible fracture. She is to return according to the paperwork in 2 days to be reevaluated.

I found out nothing about this until Lil Bit called me on my way home. Her Dad never tried to contact me. He has both my cell phone and my work phone number. (I provided my work # via registered mail when I took the job, plus the county clerk's office and the State Registry).

It is in our decree that we both are to notify one another in situations such as
this. I know nothing about the follow up except what is on the paperwork from the emergency center.

I want to handle this a diplomatically as possible., however, at the same time I am a little upset that Dad never called me to fill me in. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
I would send him a very civil letter with a copy of the order that states how emergencies should be handled. I would state that you realize that he was probably very scared and a bit stressed but that he should have contacted you. Thank him for his attention to this and you will expect that in the event anything similiar happens in the future he will remember his obligation as you certainly would as well.

penelope10

I would send him a very civil letter with a copy of the order that states how emergencies should be handled. I would state that you realize that he was probably very scared and a bit stressed but that he should have contacted you. Thank him for his attention to this and you will expect that in the event anything similiar happens in the future he will remember his obligation as you certainly would as well.
Thanks for the great advice. I called Dad and told him that I appreciated him taking Lil Bit to the ER. I also asked him to explain the follow up. I did mention to him that I am always available in situations like this and asked in the future to contact me via my cell. I also explained how concerned I was that I did not find out about the accident until after the fact when I was coming home from worked. (Because I would have immediately left work and gone to the ER as well) He apologized and stated that he did use bad judgment in not contacting me immediately and would do so in the future. (I did not bring up anything regarding the legal paperwork).

Thanks again, when it comes to the kiddo getting hurt I can sometimes have a knee jerk reaction which often does not help matters.

Last edited:

Isis1

Thanks for the great advice. I called Dad and told him that I appreciated him taking Lil Bit to the ER. I also asked him to explain the follow up. I did mention to him that I am always available in situations like this and asked in the future to contact me via my cell. I also explained how concerned I was that I did not find out about the accident until after the fact when I was coming home from worked. (Because I would have immediately left work and gone to the ER as well) He apologized and stated that he did use bad judgment in not contacting me immediately and would do so in the future. (I did not bring up anything regarding the legal paperwork).

Thanks again, when it comes to the kiddo getting hurt I can sometimes have a knee jerk reaction which often does not help matters.
honestly, i think everyone does that from time to time. just as long as you are able to recognize it, handle it, you are doing great!!:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">