• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employee rights to not have their name posted on the company website

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

Yes, my question was answered and I appreciate this resource for finding out what the law is. It is sad that a woman does not have the right to restrict the use of her name on the WORLDWIDE web. Previous to the internet she would have only had to be concerned about a company brochure in some mailing, or in the yellow pages.

that used to be the WWW. Your name was still publicized, just not as widely and easily found but it was still made public.

It would be stupid for a musician with an established identity and fan base with one name to suddenly start performing under a different name. It may have been a smart idea to choose a stage name when she FIRST started performing, but it's too late to do something like that NOW.
tell John Mellencamp that.

I doubt the OP is to a level that her specific name is so embedded in the trade that she could not start using a stage name now. The fact she is performing at venues where the local drunks might have access to her at her place of employment pretty much shows that.

bay venn

So if I get raped or stalked then I have a REAL reason to make this request?

It is a matter of safety, in the winter I leave the company in the dark, alone (I am one of the last people to leave). As a child I was sexually abused by a stepgrandfather so I know what it is like to overpowered by a stronger man.

As far as venues, I've played in small and big - 3,000+ people. Bigger venues just mean a higher possibility of whatever weird guy. It is a hazard of the job and one does have to smart and aware.

In these days it is very easy to google someone's name and get all sorts of information. I am happy for anyone to google me and learn of my music but don't feel comfortable having a physical address being part of that info.

As a tall, pretty, skinny, talented musician I have experienced a lot of sexual harrassment and not just from drunk locals. Ask any tall, pretty skinny woman and she'll tell you the same.

I don't have a problem with the company using my name in publications for mailings etc. - I just object to it being posted on the internet. As far as I know there are very few legal precedent regarding the internet. Because of the nature of the internet's far reaching nature I think it should be an employee's right to make this request.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is far from clear how having your name on the website of your day job, will increase the risk that some drunk at the location where you moonlight will rape you.

Please explain. :rolleyes:

justalayman

In these days it is very easy to google someone's name and get all sorts of information. I am happy for anyone to google me and learn of my music but don't feel comfortable having a physical address being part of that info.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you are that famous, removing your name from an employee list is not going to make a lick of difference. If I were to know your name, chances are I could find your home address as well as many other things about you. Your employees address is just part of "you". Unless you want to hide yourself with a stage name or whatever, you will simply have to accept that you are known or discoverable by the general public.

What I see now is not so much as you fear a stranger bothering you at work nearly as much as you feel you have the (mistaken) right to demand they cannot publish an employees list. You have given reasons to want to remain private yet your lifestyle itself shows that that is not the real justification behind your actions with your employer.

If you have that much problem with your employer, then find another employer. They do not have to change and you apparently are not going to accept that. It's time to move on.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
All women are at some level of risk of being sexually assaulted or stalked (even the short, ugly, fat ones). I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of women come into contact with quite a few men during the course of any given day, many of whom would have the opportunity to learn their names.

A musician may have more exposure than most, but this is still, basically, "Some psycho might learn my name, Google it, and show up at my office one day." My name is on my employer's web site. The waiter who took my credit card (with my name on it) at lunch might be a psycho; therefore, my employer should be required to remove my name from the web site.

See where I'm going with this?

justalayman

See where I'm going with this?
I do but that
tall, pretty, skinny, talented musician
never will. This isn't about her privacy. It is about her argument with her employer. She flaunts her physical attributes here. I can only imagine how she does that while performing.

btw bay venn; rape is considered to be a crime of violence and power. It merely manifests itself in the form of sex. Any woman is in danger of being raped and a good many men as well. Your self proclaimed desirability has nothing to do with it.

Isis1

As a tall, pretty, skinny, talented musician I have experienced a lot of sexual harrassment and not just from drunk locals. Ask any tall, pretty skinny woman and she'll tell you the same.

I
because short, not so pretty, large, untalented musicians never get sexually harassed right?

i'm short, only pretty when i work at it, 20 pounds over weight and very UNTALENTED ( i can't sing on key to save my life) i've been sexually harassed very often. by sober and drunk locals and non-locals. i've been sexually harassed by people that have never SEEN me.

eerelations

Because of the nature of the internet's far reaching nature I think it should be an employee's right to make this request.
It is an employee's right to make this request! And it's the employer's legal right to refuse the request. Period.

How many times do we have to tell you this before it sinks in?

(Oh and BTW, I don't believe your worries are as big as you think they are. There are lots of drunk guys out there who don't like tall skinny women.)

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm trying to envision this.

A drunk at or outside the venue where the OP is performing, gets her name from the sign outside the venue, goes home, Googles her, finds out where she works, goes to her work place (no doubt sobering up in the process since several hours will have passed), waits outside for her to go in/come out, and THEN rapes her? In full view of her co-workers?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">