• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer checked my credit without asking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drivingmecrazy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My wife and I ran our credit recently and found that our employers ran a credit check on us without our permission. IS this legal???

mlane58

Under FCRA, an employer cannot get consumer reports unless the employees have been notified that reports may be obtained and have given their written permission. If the employees gave the employer written permission in the past, the employer need only make sure that the employees receive or have received a "separate document" notice that reports may be obtained during the course of their employment — no more notice or permission is required.

drivingmecrazy

you wrote:
mlane58 Under FCRA, an employer cannot get consumer reports unless the employees have been notified that reports may be obtained and have given their written permission. If the employees gave the employer written permission in the past, the employer need only make sure that the employees receive or have received a "separate document" notice that reports may be obtained during the course of their employment — no more notice or permission is required.

Is there a course of action we can take against them and if so, what?

mlane58

Did you sign an authorization in the past? and is there any separate document notice that reports may be obtained during the course of your employment? If not, file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.

mlane58

You had better be sure bfore you make a complaint. Most employers have applicants sign these authorizations at timer of hire.

drivingmecrazy

Hmm, the original application was 8 1/2 years ago. If it were on there, which I do not have a copy of would it still be valid? And if so, shouldnt they notify you that they are checking your credit?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
mlane, doesn't FCRA only apply if the employer has a third party run the check? If they did it themselves, I don't think FCRA has anything to say about it.

mlane58

Section 604(b) of the FCRA requires any employer who intends to obtain a consumer report for employment purposes to disclose this to the applicant or employee (in a document that consists solely of the disclosure) and to obtain the applicant or employee's written permission. FCRA goes on to state under Section 606(a)(1)(A) requires any person procuring an investigative consumer report to disclose this fact to the affected consumer not later than three days after the date on which the report was first requested.

drivingmecrazy

Section 604(b) of the FCRA requires any employer who intends to obtain a consumer report for employment purposes to disclose this to the applicant or employee (in a document that consists solely of the disclosure) and to obtain the applicant or employee's written permission. FCRA goes on to state under Section 606(a)(1)(A) requires any person procuring an investigative consumer report to disclose this fact to the affected consumer not later than three days after the date on which the report was first requested.
- Neither one of us were advised.

mlane58

Hmm, the original application was 8 1/2 years ago. If it were on there, which I do not have a copy of would it still be valid? And if so, shouldnt they notify you that they are checking your credit?
Thats why I said you need to check your employee file and see if this notifcation was made 8 1/2 years ago and if not file a complaint with FTC.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That's okay. CA is one of the states where you have the guaranteed right to see portions of your personnel file (in the case of CA, you have the right to see anything you have signed) and while I'm not where I can look it up at the moment, I'm 99% sure that right continues for several months after you leave your employment. Employee friendly as CA is, I can't imagine that they would cut off that right on your last day of work.

Contact HR at your former employer and ask to make an appointment to see your file.

mlane58

* Former employees are entitled to inspect personnel files for the limitations period applicable to any violations of the law the employee may claim occurred as a result of the violation. Because limitations periods may vary, the state generally provide access to former employees within two years of termination.

However, requirements DO NOT apply to:
· Records relating to the investigation of a possible criminal offense;· Letters of reference;
· Ratings, reports or records that were:
a) obtained prior to the employee’s employment,
b) prepared by identifiable examination committee members, or
c) obtained in connection with a promotional examination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">