• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer not paying salaries

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gallasm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

This is actually a questions concerning one of my relatives, but I figured I'd do some research for her since she's in a bind.

Basically, my sister works for a small firm which relies on a couple of large clients for their cash-flow. When the company doesn't get paid, the employees don't get paid. Employees are supposed to be paid every 2 weeks, but as of now, she hasn't been paid the last 4 pay periods. Does she have any legal recourse? Even if she sued, I'm not sure how the company would pay any damages if they're really that broke. Any suggestions? And yes, she is looking for a new job, but she's in a pretty specialized field.

Contact the federal Labor Dept, they can help, they can compel the employer to make the payroll. In wWage Hour lingo that is call a "Missed Payroll".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">