• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer provided housing question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington
When an employer provides housing for their employee, and then fires the employee is it the same as regular eviction in terms of notice, and length of time before tenant must be out?

Thank you

FarmerJ

Is there a written lease or contract that spells out terms re housing and vacating it if employment ends? If there is nothing in a contract of any sort that says other wise then I would imagine the LL must give you proper notice in writing that says you must vacate and that the amount of time be what any other month to month renter in your state gets.

Is there a written lease or contract that spells out terms re housing and vacating it if employment ends? If there is nothing in a contract of any sort that says other wise then I would imagine the LL must give you proper notice in writing that says you must vacate and that the amount of time be what any other month to month renter in your state gets.
After researching further, I have found that unfortunately we are exempt from the tenant/landlord laws. :(
Here is the RCW and section for this.

RCW 59.18.040
Living arrangements exempted from chapter
(8) Occupancy by an employee of a landlord whose right to occupy is conditioned upon employment in or about the premises.

Last edited:

Stephen1

The WA State Landlord-Tenant Act (WAC 59.18) does not apply to: "Occupancy by an employee of a landlord whose right to occupy is conditioned upon employment in or about the premises." (See WAC 59.18.040(8)) From your description it sounds as though that is what you have. In that case I don't know what law would apply but it seems clear to me that you wouldn't have the rights of a month-to-month tenant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">