• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer Refuses To Pay Bonus/illegal E'ee Classification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Godzuki

What is the name of your state? NY

Employer(former) wants me to sign a separation agreement indemnifying them before they will release my bonus from last year. This is a LARGE chunk of money that was earned and owing a month before I was laid off. They are trying to categorize this as part of the separation monies.

Employer improperly classified me as a contract worker so he wouldn't have to pay payroll taxes. He directly stated this to me.

Also trying to disavow a large pay raise that was supposed to be retroactive nine months.

The separation pay that is the only part of this that hasn't already been earned is a month's salary.

If I sign the sep agreement, I am saying that I agree that the sep payments satisfy all my claims against them, which is obviously not true.

How can it be possible to accept the sep agreement -- to get things going and to avoid hassle -- but still make claim for my backpay?

Thanks.

pattytx

I suggest you have this document reviewed by an attorney before you sign it, if you do. There are a number of issues here that are problematic, including the "fact" that the company was treating you as an IC in violation of IRS and Wage and Hour laws.

Godzuki

Yes. That is probably wise.

pattytx said:
I suggest you have this document reviewed by an attorney before you sign it, if you do. There are a number of issues here that are problematic, including the "fact" that the company was treating you as an IC in violation of IRS and Wage and Hour laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">