• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employment law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grishid

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi there, I live in California and my question is when my employer calls me to work for 2 hours, am I entitled to receive 4 hours of work pay per california employment law? How does this 4 hour law work?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The CA law is a bit convoluted so if I get any part of this wrong, CA experts feel free to correct me.

If you are scheduled for only two hours, you only have to be paid for two hours. If, however, you are scheduled for longer and sent home before the end of your scheduled shift, you are entitled to be paid for one-half of your scheduled shift with a minimum of two and a maximum of four hours, or the time that you worked, whichever is longer.

Examples:

1.) Scheduled to work for three hours; sent home after only one hour - you would be entitled to be paid for two hours (the minimum)

2.) Scheduled to work for four hours; sent home after one hour - you would be entitled to two hours (both the minimum, and one-half the scheduled shift)

3.) Scheduled to work for five hours; sent home after one hour - you would be entitled to two and a half hours (one half the scheduled shift)

4.) Scheduled to work for eight hours; sent home after only one - you would be entitled to four hours pay (one half the scheduled shift - also the maximum)

There are also exceptions to reporting time pay. If you were sent home for a reason beyond the employer's control, reporting pay does not apply. Examples of such reasons would be a bomb threat in the building; a power outage; an earthquake. Reporting time pay also does not apply if you are fired, sent home early as a disciplinary action; if you are unfit to work (example - if you report to work while under the influence). Finally, reporting time pay does not apply if an unusual or unexpected event has occurred during the off hours which makes it impossible for the business to open, and the employer has made every reasonable effort to notify the employees. Example: The employer is notified at 7:00 am that there has been a fire in the building and he will not be able to open; he tries to call you and tell you but you have already left for work.

Clear as mud?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">