• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Entering Bus Only Lane at Intersection and Missing a Court Date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

warmthesea

I got a traffic ticket for entering a bus only lane at an intersection in order to go around another vehicle which was turning left. Seems legal to me, people do it all day long at this intersection. You can enter the bus lane to turn right, why should you not be allowed to momentarily enter the bus lane safely to bypass a vehicle blocking.

That is my first problem. I thought for sure that I had a good shot at arguing this one before a judge. I went to the arraignment and received a court date. Then after a little over a month I received a notice stating that I had missed my court date and was being fined an additional civil assessment fee. I had 2 options, to pay the ticket then or book a new arraignment. I chose to book the new arraignment mostly because I couldn't afford to pay the ticket and civil assessment fine.

And I absolutely did miss my court date, I feel like such a dummy about it. I made a simple mistake over something of such importance. I entered the court date into my calender in the wrong month and that's how I missed my court date.

Any advice on what will happen at the new arraignment or how to handle it would be very much appreciated:)

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

racer72

Ah, the ol' everyone does it so it's must be legal defense. Unless you got something else to use as a defense, you are wasting yours and the court's time.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21461.htm

V C Section 21461 Obedience by Driver to Official Traffic Control Devices

21461. (a) It is unlawful for a driver of a vehicle to fail to obey a sign or signal defined as regulatory in the federal Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, or a Department of Transportation approved supplement to that manual of a regulatory nature erected or maintained to enhance traffic safety and operations or to indicate and carry out the provisions of this code or a local traffic ordinance or resolution adopted pursuant to a local traffic ordinance, or to fail to obey a device erected or maintained by lawful authority of a public body or official.

(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to acts constituting violations under Chapter 9 (commencing with Section 22500) of this division or to acts constituting violations of a local traffic ordinance adopted pursuant to Chapter 9 (commencing with Section 22500).

Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 203, Stats. 2004. Effective January 1, 2005.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">