• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ER doctor bill went to collections

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WhyMeAgain30

What is the name of your state? FL
Hello everyone, I was billed almost $1,500 for basically saying "hello" to the ER doctor.
I disputed it with the billing company and through Credit Karma with no result.
I was thinking about taking them to SCC. Do I have any other options?
What should I do? Please advise.
Thanks!

Things you can do:
Ask for the bill to be itemized.
If you are unable to pay the bill, see if the hospital has some sort of help for low-income/uninsured patients.
Set up a payment plan with the hospital.

Good luck.

WhyMeAgain30

adjusterjack, what exactly makes you think I'm not gonna win?
AlmostThere, I did ask and received an itemized bill. They billed me for Code 5 (surgery ,etc..) when it should've been Code 1 (around $150)
I disputed it with the billing company and got no response. Instead they just sent me another bill for the same amount.
The hospital and doctor were 2 separate bills. The hospital discounted my original bill of $20,000 to a $1,000 which I already paid.
I can pay the doctor bill but I just refuse to pay an unfair bill of $1,500 for literally speaking to the doctor for less than 2 mins.
It's unethical medical billing and I'll fight it anyway I can.

zddoodah

I was thinking about taking them to SCC.
Assuming "SCC" is small claims court, who are "them," and what possible basis do you think to have to sue anyone for a bill being sent to you?

Do I have any other options?
What should I do?
Your options are to pay the bill or don't pay the bill. I don't know if you intentionally didn't mention anything about insurance, but if you have medical insurance, you obviously should send the bill to your insurer. If you don't pay the bill, it may or may not end up on your credit report, and/or you may or may not get sued. If it shows up on your credit, you can dispute it. If you get sued, you can raise your objections in defense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">