• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Error made on lease docs - Can I back-out of the lease?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RogerC

Phoenix, Arizona.

I leased a new car 4 days ago and am finding small problems with it. I'm also realizing that I just don't care for it all that much. The dealer notified me today that they had made a very small error in the calculations on the lease and would like me to re-sign corrected documents. The error is only .07 cents off from what it should be, but they emphasized that "leases in particular have to be very accurate", so they need to correct the lease document.

The lease deal included a $5000 trade-in allowance for my old car.

Can I refuse to sign the new lease document and ask them to let me out of the lease?

OHRoadwarrior

It is unlikely you will succeed. It is unlikely they will get too excited over $1.86 on a 3 year lease. They can earn more than that back 10 fold when you return the lease car by claiming damages.

RogerC

It is unlikely you will succeed.
They have the right to refuse.
Thank you OHRoadwarrior and STEPHAN.

Just to be clear, the amount is wrong because the lessor made an error in the math calculation.

I'm clarifying because I believe they haven't yet actually submitted the lease documents to the leasing company. They've implied they can't until the calculation error is corrected.

So, an error in the math on a lease made by the lessor does not legally negate the contract if I refuse to re-sign, correct?

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

The original contract is valid, you willingly agreed to it. You can certainly refuse the .07 cent correction, the $1.86 will not kill them.

RogerC

Thank you OHRoadwarrior.

Of course the .07 cents was never my concern. (At this point they've only told me there is an error - I don't even know if it is to my advantage or theirs).

They seem to be implying they absolutely can't submit the document to the lease company as is, so I was just hoping that might be based on some sort of legal requirement, which in turn could have given me some element of leverage to back-out. I now understand it is still legally binding.

latigo

Phoenix, Arizona.

I leased a new car 4 days ago and am finding small problems with it. I'm also realizing that I just don't care for it all that much. The dealer notified me today that they had made a very small error in the calculations on the lease and would like me to re-sign corrected documents. The error is only .07 cents off from what it should be, but they emphasized that "leases in particular have to be very accurate", so they need to correct the lease document.

The lease deal included a $5000 trade-in allowance for my old car.

Can I refuse to sign the new lease document and ask them to let me out of the lease?
Why don't you throw in that at the time you were signing with one hand two fingers on the other were crossed? Or that you didn't cross your heart and hope to die?

One or the other ought to do it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">