• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate with no will or executor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Disneykid52 -- did reporting my post, mean that I found you? I am going to go with that. Therefore it wasn't that difficult. Maybe you shouldn't have challenged someone to find you. A simple websearch was all it took.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
That is non-responsive. I could care less how you handled things. I DO care that you advise others to do the same.
Zigner, it doesn't take much more than a simple google search to find disneykid52. The challenge should not have been made.

LdiJ

What was "the crime"?
There really wasn't one. Disney stated that he handled his father's estate without probate (which was probably ok as small estates in most states can be handled without probate), Zigner thought that he committed a crime and called him on it, and Disney lightheartedly said "find me", and OG decided that was a challenge that she should accept.

She posted what she thought might be Disney's real name, and somebody decided that wasn't a good idea and reported her post. Personally, I think posting someone's real name is dangerous and thoughtless, whether challenged or not.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
There really wasn't one. Disney stated that he handled his father's estate without probate (which was probably ok as small estates in most states can be handled without probate), Zigner thought that he committed a crime and called him on it, and Disney lightheartedly said "find me", and OG decided that was a challenge that she should accept.

She posted what she thought might be Disney's real name, and somebody decided that wasn't a good idea and reported her post. Personally, I think posting someone's real name is dangerous and thoughtless, whether challenged or not.
How do we know that is Disney's real name? I figure it might be or it would not have been reported. And actually, can you name a cite statute that says estates do NOT need to be probated? Googling disney's user name brings up that facebook page by the way.

curb1

Estates don't have to be probated in many cases. It is not mandatory that estates be probated from my understanding (are some states different?). There are circumstances that require probating.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Estates don't have to be probated in many cases. It is not mandatory that estates be probated from my understanding (are some states different?). There are circumstances that require probating.
In OP's case the estate needs to be probated. See http://missouriprobate.info/2011/06/17/when-probate-required-missouri/ for backup. Why? Because of the house that OP (or in this case her husband) cannot access. Apparently there is no one who was listed on the deed to get it as in Transfer on Death OR joint tenant with right of survivorship.

justalayman

How do we know that is Disney's real name? I figure it might be or it would not have been reported. And actually, can you name a cite statute that says estates do NOT need to be probated? Googling disney's user name brings up that facebook page by the way.
technically, no estate must be probated but that is getting picky with the words. In fact, many do go without being administered in any way at all.

Now, I don't think I can find a state that allows what disney did though.

curb1

What did "disney" do that was a crime?

Additionally, from the information given by the OP, why would OP's Mother-in-law's estate need to be probated? No information was given that there were any probate-able assets.

justalayman

curb1;3165829]What did "disney" do that was a crime?
I am an only child and when my father died there was still a mortgage on the house. He had no will so I just sold his 3 cars, all the furnature and appliances in the house. Told the bank to take the house that I moved out and down to Florida.
how did she sell the cars? By what right could she sell anything? What did she do with the money? Did she pay the estate's debts with it? Was there money in the house that could be used to pay estate debts?

of course there could be some explanation that proved out that she did act appropriately but her off the cuff statement suggests she sold the estate assets, took the money, and ran.

Additionally, from the information given by the OP, why would OP's Mother-in-law's estate need to be probated? No information was given that there were any probate-able assets.
the house maybe?

curb1

1) There was no crime by "disney".

2) There were no probate-able assets listed by the OP for mother-in-law. The only mention of a house was stated as "our house", not the mother-in-law's house. As stated, poor advice was given on this forum. There is no way the nursing home should be able to collect from children, or place a lien on "our house" (OP's house).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">