• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eviction Proceedings - Status Conference

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dolebot

What is the name of your state? Florida

I've recently been sued for eviction for non-payment of rent (I paid quite late, and it was returned to me, since it has been paid to the court registry and my answers have been filed). I'll reveal details if anyone wants to help, but for now I have but one question - The plaintiff set a date for "Final Hearing on Tenant Eviction" and properly served the notice upon me, and I figured that was the hearing where I presented my side of the case and the judge determined whether I should be evicted or not. The next day I got a letter from him that the case has been re-set to a "Hearing - Status Conference".

Anybody know what that is? From what I gather from a few minutes of googling its a hearing where the judge gets from the parties an idea of where the case is, how its proceeding and to set certain dates. The judge usually uses this conference to encourage settlement. Has anyone been to one and happens to know what to expect in Florida or any other state?

HomeGuru

dolebot said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

I've recently been sued for eviction for non-payment of rent (I paid quite late, and it was returned to me, since it has been paid to the court registry and my answers have been filed). I'll reveal details if anyone wants to help, but for now I have but one question - The plaintiff set a date for "Final Hearing on Tenant Eviction" and properly served the notice upon me, and I figured that was the hearing where I presented my side of the case and the judge determined whether I should be evicted or not. The next day I got a letter from him that the case has been re-set to a "Hearing - Status Conference".

Anybody know what that is? From what I gather from a few minutes of googling its a hearing where the judge gets from the parties an idea of where the case is, how its proceeding and to set certain dates. The judge usually uses this conference to encourage settlement. Has anyone been to one and happens to know what to expect in Florida or any other state?

**A: yes, you are correct in general.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">