• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eviction without cause.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

user163127

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pa.
My landlord sent me a letter advising me not to enter their leasing office, for any reason, or they will call the police and file charges. I haven’t violated the lease, and am polite the few times I went into their office. The front office is very unprofessional and basically crazy, the two women who work there are mean to everyone and if you go in with a problem they evict you. With the letter advising me to not enter their office they sent me a Notice to Quit, with the threat of eviction if I don’t move. How can these people get away with this? :confused:

sandyclaus

My landlord sent me a letter advising me not to enter their leasing office, for any reason, or they will call the police and file charges. I haven’t violated the lease, and am polite the few times I went into their office. The front office is very unprofessional and basically crazy, the two women who work there are mean to everyone and if you go in with a problem they evict you. With the letter advising me to not enter their office they sent me a Notice to Quit, with the threat of eviction if I don’t move. How can these people get away with this? :confused:
Are you currently living under a fixed-term lease, or are you a month-to-month tenant?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why should we even touch this one. Is is blindingly obvious that there is much, MUCH more to this story than you are telling us.

sandyclaus

Why should we even touch this one. Is is blindingly obvious that there is much, MUCH more to this story than you are telling us.
Of this, I have NO doubt...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

user163127

As a matter of fact there really isn't "much much more". I'm 5 months into a 12 month lease.

Websites that allow people to post reviews and comments on apartments do have many posts regarding the leasing office here, and there does seem to be a culture of extreme hostility to the residents. This is a regular apartment complex here, not low income, it's just a regular apartment complex outside Harrisburg, Pa. My belief is that the woman in the office the day I visited hates her job, hates people, and simply isn't qualified to run a leasing office. Still, should I be evicted because the leasing office "doesn't like me", because the woman in the office at the time I visited is a real grump?

user163127

There are NO violations to the lease, nor have I been informed of any. Nor are there any morality clauses or "lifestyle" clauses. I was unemployed when I moved in, which they're fully aware of, and I didn't lie on the lease application. Of course the rents fully paid. In fact the lease stipulates that the leasing office wants to maximize our enjoyment of the apartments, and that "our team will be happy to help you". This is from item 1 of Addendum B fo the lease, which lists about 20 other items.

The only other time I saw this woman (described as woman B below) was the day I moved in, when Woman A was conducting the signing of documents. I've never actually spoken to Woman B, until a few days ago.

About 2 weeks ago I had typed up a list of about 8 reasons why I believe the rent should be lowered by about $100, including an item where I described how none of the doors in the apartment closed and I had to plane down the side of one of them. You know how the painters whitewash everything, even the sides of doors and doorways, which builds up over time and makes the doors no longer close or open easily. I did mention this problem several times at move in but the problem wasn't addressed. It's not as if I caused damage. This act of "self-reliance" on my part can't possibly be used as a reason to evict me, since many landlords PREFER someone who's a handyman. And it's not as if there was a downside to my remedy to the doors.

I gave the list to woman A who faxed it to woman B, who has higher authority. I went into the office a few days later, middle of the day, to get a response. Woman B was in the office, I asked her if she got the fax (I presumed she was the recipient of the fax) and she said "the rent won't be lowered". I proceeded to ask about it, and she immediately boomed "get out of the office". Mind you I wasn't in the office 15 seconds when she boomed "get out". Naturally I was interested in discussing it a bit, why not, I mean it was regular business hours. She then said she'd call the police. This struck me as being very unnecessary. I mean, I didn't really know the woman, but I've dealt with many leasing offices and I've NEVER been treated with such disrespect. So she called the police. I sat there, of course. I didnt' do anything illegal, or disrspectful, and I had to make sure she didn't give a "false report". The police arrived and she told them I cursed at her, which of course I didn't. So I accused her of slander, and told her slander was a crime. I left after a few minutes, thinking, god, what a psychotic bitch. I had never met one before, and they really do exist. About 10 days later I get the Notice to Quit and the other warning in the mail, to never enter the leasing office "for any reason", both signed by the woman who called the police, of course. The Notice to Quit didn't include the reasons, which are required by Pa state law, and seemed to have other admin errors, plus it wasn't the official form. The purpose of a Notice to Quit is to give an opportuity to the tenant the chance to correct some problem, after all. (Interestingly, the lease includes a waiver to a Notice to Quit. But they did issue one - the title of the document is "Notice to Quit" in big letters. While disregarding the conventions of the Notice to Quit. So odd. Kinda crazy?) I wrote a letter to the head office in NJ, with no response so far, although there's been enough time, and my voice mails go unanswered. Classy.

Listen, I'm a great tenant. Previous landlords have told me I'm the best tenant they've ever had.

Hopefully they'll employ the standard process for eviction, in which case I'll have a chance to defend myself before a judge.

It's clear woman B has a serious mental problem, a bug up her a**. I hope the judge agrees, because I'm certainly not moving out without a hearing.

Searchertwin

About 2 weeks ago I had typed up a list of about 8 reasons why I believe the rent should be lowered by about $100,
Send me those reasons, so I can add more to send to mortgage company to lower payments. :)

I did mention this problem several times at move in but the problem wasn't addressed.
Did you send a crr letter about the problem?

And it's not as if there was a downside to my remedy to the doors.
Could be if you shaved it down to much.
and she said "the rent won't be lowered".
I would have said the same thing.

I proceeded to ask about it, and she immediately boomed "get out of the office". Mind you I wasn't in the office 15 seconds when she boomed "get out". Naturally I was interested in discussing it a bit, why not, I mean it was regular business hours.
So, in other words, you were going to be heard. She had no choice except to tell you that she was going to call the police. Why she should be bullied by someone during her business hours?

I've NEVER been treated with such disrespect.
I just love these people.
Do you think that she felt she was being disrespected also?

So she called the police. I sat there, of course. I didnt' do anything illegal,
Yes, you did. Once she told you to leave her place of business and you refused, you were trespassing.
I left after a few minutes, thinking, god, what a psychotic bitch.
She probably thought the same way about you.
I had never met one before, and they really do exist.
Go home and look in the mirror.

because I'm certainly not moving out without a hearing.
Remember she will have a hearing also. Hers will contain, trespassing and harrasement (all the email), and whatever was mention that day in the office.

These reasons, trespassing, bullying and harrasment, are the reasons, plus more we are not aware of.

Gail in Georgia

"This act of "self-reliance" on my part can't possibly be used as a reason to evict me, since many landlords PREFER someone who's a handyman. "

Actually, it could be. Many leases have a clause disallowing tenants to make what they consider improvements/repairs on the rental units without the express permission of the landlord/management. Many landlords cringe at what tenants consider what they've done to be the work of a "handyman".

Gail

P.S. They believe you're a pain in a low spot (i.e., a trouble maker) with your demand to have the rent lowered by $100 and, when told this wasn't going to happen, wanting to continue to stand around discussing/arguing with them about this.

Last edited:

user163127

It's important to note I wasn't making demands. Having a prepared list simply adds legitimacy to my complaint generally. I didn't even bring the list in with me to show woman B, so it's not as if I was waving it in her face. My demeanor was very calm and mature. And I wasn't complaining about the rent being "too high" generally. The apartment rent was higher than for other units of the identical floor plan on the basis that it was an "upgrade". For example, it's presented as a 2BD/1BA. It's actally a 1BD with den, considering the widely accepted rule that a bedroom has a closet. The room in question is argueably a large closet. The apt should be priced to reflect this. Plus the garbage disposals were taken out, in all the apartments. This is a downgrade, who would deny this? Don't call the place an "upgrade", and give it an upgraded price, when it's really a "downgrade". I've lived in many apartments and this one is simply inferior to all the others. Comparable units in the same neighborhood at the time cost less. In fact, the prices for my floorplan have come down since I moved in about 5 months ago.

I'm certain that an eviction is not a justifiable response to a resident who sincerely believes he's paying too much, and attempts to make an intelligent, sincere attempt to simply "discuss it". The lease states the staff wil b "glad to help with issues". This clearly is not the case.

Moving under any circumstances is a major life event. Eviction is an extremely punitive action to inflict on someone. Why stop there? Should I go to jail? Have trouble finding another apartment? Buy a house and be unable to move for work? As if apartments are easy to move out of. Apt living is supposed to be easy! I fixed a door, using professional tools and techniques. It's certainly better than it was before I fixed it, any idiot can see that! For this I should be punished? It's one thing to say "oh, thanks, that's OK, but next time please ask us, we'll be more diligent in the future". The door wouldn't open or close - this will not do when I'm trying to move into an apartment. And there's no excuse for someone in a place of business to treat me with such condescension, I'm way too old for that. I thought humans were the rational species? I can't see a judge supporting the eviction, I just can't see it, that would indicate, to me, a complete breakdown of trhe system. We have to see the essential right and wrong of the matter, and I've done nothing wrong. And I haven't violated any terms of the Lease, nor have I been accused of such. So why am I put through such bullshi*! Is this the purpose of life, to put up with idiotic bullshi* from the idiotic staff in leasing offices who hate life and hate their jobs? If the eviction is successful it will be a major violation of my free will and civil rights, I may as well live in communist China.

tranquility

I'm certain that an eviction is not a justifiable response to a resident who sincerely believes he's paying too much, and attempts to make an intelligent, sincere attempt to simply "discuss it". The lease states the staff wil b "glad to help with issues". This clearly is not the case.
Then, you are certainly wrong. What is clear is that your detailed analysis of his business cheesed him off in some way. (Or, her. Or, them. Whatever.) Now, since he can give you a notice to quit for any but a prohibited reason (race, religion etc), he is permitted to use how angry/fearful he is as a criteria. Even if it is unfair. Even if the OP is 100% correct on his complaints.

If the eviction is successful it will be a major violation of my free will and civil rights, I may as well live in communist China.
It WILL be successful. What argument do you have to force the landlord to rent to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">