• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Evidentiary Hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gatorguy3

What is the name of your state? Florida

Can someone give me some information on such a hearing with respect to Divorce/Custody?

Background:

I was served for divorce. Around day 20 after being served, I did all the paperwork Pro Se for a counter petition and had it notorized. I was arrested and spent the next few weeks in jail on a purge. The purge I was arrested on at that point was already paid. So I was released after a couple weeks, when the truth was brought forth.

Upon being released, and after I found out how to process my counter petition, I was informed a Default and a Final Judgment had already been entered and signed by the judge. I still faxed my information and forwarded original copies of the Counter petition to opposing counsel. I also completed and faxed a Motion to Set Aside the Default and Final Judgment.

The judge did not sign either motion, though he did comment on the motion to set aside "not necessary. evidentiary hearing necessary".

I have tried to set up a hearing but opposing counsel keeps saying he/she is too booked.

Does anyone have any information that may help?

Thanks.

gatorguy3

Has nobody ever had one of these hearings? I am only looking to see what to expect. Let the record also show that I have only attended one hearing in 3 years. I missed 1 hearing and others were rescheduled and cancelled.

The court has me in contempt for missing the one hearing, though I didn't know it was scheduled. Was told it was cancelled.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">