• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex still has my name on deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dogwood

What is the name of your state?alabama
My ex and I divorced 5 years ago, I gave up ownership of family home(children will receive it at age), his family bought for him anyway, and I will NEVER live there.
I found out today my name is still on deed, taxes etc..
Am I responsible for anything, such as taxes, when on my divorce decree it states me taken off deed?
And how do I get my name off?
I really want nothing to do with this home.
Thankyou for any assitance.

seniorjudge

Q: Am I responsible for anything, such as taxes, when on my divorce decree it states me taken off deed?

A: Yes; the taxing authorities were not parties to that lawsuit.

Q: And how do I get my name off?

A: Go to a lawyer and have him draw up a quit claim deed from you to your ex-spouse; then make sure it is recorded in the land deed records of the county where the land is located.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

dogwood said:
What is the name of your state?alabama
My ex and I divorced 5 years ago, I gave up ownership of family home(children will receive it at age), his family bought for him anyway, and I will NEVER live there.
I found out today my name is still on deed, taxes etc..
Am I responsible for anything, such as taxes, when on my divorce decree it states me taken off deed?
And how do I get my name off?
I really want nothing to do with this home.
Thankyou for any assitance.

My response:

Are you crazy??

If the "house" (cum "trailer") is paid off, why would you want your name off of the title? Being a part owner of a house is BETTER than having money in the bank! When he tries to sell it, he'll need your signature. It's at that point you'll be hearing that old "cash register bell" ringing! (Cha Ching!)

IAAL

dogwood

Its not a (cum trailer), he is not very responsible, I have a home already, and I dont want it. There are some like me out there.The children may do as they wish once of age, I do not have to be included in this. Iaal, please save your comments for the true trash of this world.
Thankyou

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">