• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex wants to file for Medicaid for daughter & Herself, BUT, daughter is covered by me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ex wants to file for Medicaid for daughter & Herself, BUT, daughter is covered by me

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NEW YORK

I'm not sure if this belongs here or under the Family law questions...It's a question about medical insurance, but it also goes into the subjects of child support and Custody orders.

So my daughters mother recently lost her government health insurance, she didn't qualify because, well i guess, because of her income....she called me yesterday to inform me of this and tell me 'the only way she can get back on medicaid is if she includes our daughter on it' and 'she needs to get back on it', basically crying on the phone to me. Our daughter has been covered under my employee healthcare for atleast 3-4 years(as long as i've been employed with this company), it's an expensive plan for me but, IMO, this is part of the 'expense' of raising a child and i'm happy to pay it because it's for our daughter.

To add to this, while we do have a pretty extensive custody plan, we are working on modifying RIGHT NOW, because we are working on modifying it right now, i want to kinda keep friendly with the ex, if i say no to the medicaid, she'll start fighting everything in the new order.

Also, there is no child support ordered now, I've done the math myself and pay about $500-$600 a month(i don't think you need the exact number here) plus all health insurance and non-reimbursed medical bills, plus other expenses, which again i happily pay, because it's money for our daughter(or it's supposed to be). Will medicaid come after me if our daughter is on it?

What do i do?
Do i drop our daughter from my Work insurance and let her mother put her on Medicaid? Risking having the Child support agency come after me?
Do i refuse to drop our daughter from my work insurance and tick off her mom and make our current custody case going into extra innings?
If i refuse to drop our daughter, can her mother still apply for medicaid for her? Dual Coverage?

Last edited:

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NEW YORK

I'm not sure if this belongs here or under the Family law questions...It's a question about medical insurance, but it also goes into the subjects of child support and Custody orders.

So my daughters mother recently lost her government health insurance, she didn't qualify because, well i guess, because of her income....she called me yesterday to inform me of this and tell me 'the only way she can get back on medicaid is if she includes our daughter on it' and 'she needs to get back on it', basically crying on the phone to me. Our daughter has been covered under my employee healthcare for atleast 3-4 years(as long as i've been employed with this company), it's an expensive plan for me but, IMO, this is part of the 'expense' of raising a child and i'm happy to pay it because it's for our daughter.

To add to this, while we do have a pretty extensive custody plan, we are working on modifying RIGHT NOW, because we are working on modifying it right now, i want to kinda keep friendly with the ex, if i say no to the medicaid, she'll start fighting everything in the new order.

Also, there is no child support ordered now, I've done the math myself and pay about $500-$600 a month(i don't think you need the exact number here) plus all health insurance and non-reimbursement medical bills, plus other expenses, which again i happily pay, because it's money for our daughter(or it's supposed to be). Will medicaid come after me if our daughter is on it?

What do i do?
Do i drop our daughter from my Work insurance and let her mother put her on Medicaid? Risking having the Child support agency come after me?
Do i refuse to drop our daughter from my work insurance and tick off her mom and make our current custody case going into extra innings?
If i refuse to drop our daughter, can her mother still apply for medicaid for her? Dual Coverage?
RE the bolded:

Yes: The medicaid will pick up a portion of the expenses not covered by the existing insurance. I wouldn't fight this. It means additional coverage and slightly less expense for you as it is highly unlikely the state will go after you for any type of medical support obligation (not sure if NY does Med spt) as long as you continue to maintain your employer coverage for little Sally.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Your ex should be able to file for Medicaid for HER daughter without YOUR permission if you have joint custody.

RE the bolded:

Yes: The medicaid will pick up a portion of the expenses not covered by the existing insurance. I wouldn't fight this. It means additional coverage and slightly less expense for you as it is highly unlikely the state will go after you for any type of medical support obligation (not sure if NY does Med spt) as long as you continue to maintain your employer coverage for little Sally.
Thank you CSO, it's good to know i might not need to terminate the insurance i have on our daughter.

I guess this is something i'd have to talk to a 'case manager' at DSS about, but, the whole point of her mother wanting to put our daughter on medicaid is so she can get medicaid herself, i guess it raises the income limits? She's pretty sick at this point, both physically and mentally, do you know if, since our daughter will only be getting supplemental medicaid, if that will effect the coverage her mother can get?

I've never been in the 'social services' system and unless something major happens in my life, i never will be, so i have no idea how this works.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thank you CSO, it's good to know i might not need to terminate the insurance i have on our daughter.

I guess this is something i'd have to talk to a 'case manager' at DSS about, but, the whole point of her mother wanting to put our daughter on medicaid is so she can get medicaid herself, i guess it raises the income limits? She's pretty sick at this point, both physically and mentally, do you know if, since our daughter will only be getting supplemental medicaid, if that will effect the coverage her mother can get?

I've never been in the 'social services' system and unless something major happens in my life, i never will be, so i have no idea how this works.
Truthfully, none of this is your business. Your ex should apply for Medicaid for her entire household including her daughter that she had with you. Why does it matter to you if your ex gets Medicaid on the child? It doesn't affect your responsibilities or obligations.

CSO286

Not your business what kind of public assistance mom might apply for for her and the child.

You child support caseworker can only speak to how it might affect the child support case, but as a rule if Parent B is providing private coverage and Parent A applies for and is approved for Medicaid, it won't have any effect on the CS case at all. Again, we're back tot he why argue against addtional coverage for the child? What's the point??

Truthfully, none of this is your business. Your ex should apply for Medicaid for her entire household including her daughter that she had with you. Why does it matter to you if your ex gets Medicaid on the child? It doesn't affect your responsibilities or obligations.
You are right, to a point, If it doesn't effect my or OUR DAUGHTERS, lives it's none of my business, as a father, just like, as a mother, my daughter life is my business, especially her medical situation.....That's why i posted this question, so i could figure out, if/how it would effect either my or our daughters life....

I asked about the DSS coming after me for child/medical support, that would effect my and our daughters life
I asked if i would have to cancel or change our daughters insurance through my job, that would effect my and our daughter life
I asked how the dual coverage plans work, this is something i have to know for doctors appointments and, that would effect my and our daughters life

You're right, i did overstep a bit by asking if her mother will still be able to get government insurance with our daughter only having supplemental government insurance, but that was why her mother was planning this, so if she doesn't, it will effect our daughters life

I will be taking CSO's advice....Tell our daughters mother "Go ahead, but i will not be canceling my work insurance on our daughter" I've got to remember to stop worrying and trying to 'fix' things for others, hopefully everything works out for daughters mother, but it's not my job to 'fix' it and make it work out.

Last edited:

CSO286

You are right, to a point, If it doesn't effect my or OUR DAUGHTERS, lives it's none of my business, as a father, just like, as a mother, my daughter life is my business, especially her medical situation.....That's why i posted this question, so i could figure out, if/how it would effect either my or our daughters life....

I asked about the DSS coming after me for child/medical support, that would effect my and our daughters life
I asked if i would have to cancel or change our daughters insurance through my job, that would effect my and our daughter life
I asked how the dual coverage plans work, this is something i have to know for doctors appointments and, that would effect my and our daughters life

You're right, i did overstep a bit by asking if her mother will still be able to get government insurance with our daughter only having supplemental government insurance, but that was why her mother was planning this, so if she doesn't, it will effect our daughters life
Affect is the verb you are trying to use. Honest.

How the dual coverage works: Your insurance pays first. Medicaid covers the rest up to thier contracted amount. That's all you need to know.

You have no right to any info on Mom's public assistance case--even if she applies for services for your mutual child as well as her self.

How the dual coverage works: Your insurance pays first. Medicaid covers the rest up to thier contracted amount. That's all you need to know.
Are co-pays reimbursed or gone? Do i have to inform the doctors of this? Can i still use the same Doctors? God i'm not looking forward to informing our daughters doctors that we are now on some kind of 'welfare' medical insurance. What about Dental and Vision? Right now we have 'Delta Dental' and 'VSP' for vision through work and they are pretty good.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Are co-pays reimbursed or gone? Do i have to inform the doctors of this? Can i still use the same Doctors? God i'm not looking forward to informing our daughters doctors that we are now on some kind of 'welfare' medical insurance. What about Dental and Vision? Right now we have 'Delta Dental' and 'VSP' for vision through work and they are pretty good.
Seriously get over yourself. Welfare medical insurance is some of the best available.

CSO286

Seriously get over yourself. Welfare medical insurance is some of the best available.
Amen.

You know what? Doctors don't really care who is paying for their services (private pay, private insurance, medicaid). They just want to be paid for their work.

And it's not like you have to go in and anounce to the billing dept that Sally is now on "welfare" medical. You simply tell them there's a secondary coverage and hand them the card. They'll know what to do. It's no different than if Mom went out and picked up an additional private health care policy on her own.

Last edited:
And it's not like you have to go in and announce to the billing dept that Sally is now on "welfare" medical. You simply tell them there's a secondary coverage and hand them the card. They'll know what to do. It's no different than if Mom went out and picked up an additional private health care policy on her own.
Our dentist doesn't accept "any medicaid based insurance programs, including child health plus" so it's not the same....So will this effect the dental or vision coverage?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Our dentist doesn't accept "any medicaid based insurance programs, including child health plus" so it's not the same....So will this effect the dental or vision coverage?
No (and again it is affect). Seriously, you are trying to find a reason to deny your ex the right to put the child on Medicaid -- aren't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">