• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Exempt without Subordinates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

saint1415

What is the name of your state? Florida

Hears the scenario. I get to the office at 8am. Work through the day, sometimes with a 30min lunch, and then leave at 6pm. Typical hours for my job are 8:30am-5:30pm. When I need to stay later or come in on my days off I do so to finish jobs that can't be completed with employees here. 2 questions. Since I am exempt what are my rights as far as overtime or other compensation for any hours over 40 worked? 2nd question pertains to my second job. Am I required to inform my day job that I have a second job outside of their working hours?

Thanks everyone who contributes to these forums

LeeHarveyBlotto

1) Exempt employees have no legal rights to overtime or alternative compensation.
2) There's no legal requirement to do so, it's really a matter between you and the employer.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you are correctly classified as exempt, there are no circumstances whatsoever in which you are legally entitled to any additional compensation over and above your regular salary, regardless of how many hours you work. Comp time is legal but not required - that is a matter between you and your employer.

The same goes for a second job - that is not addressed by law and is entirely an internal matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">