• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expungement in CA - do it yourself?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heyitsme

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am looking into expungement for a DUI in Los Angeles county. I am not looking to do it right now because I have a few more years left on my probation, but I am just kind of planning for the future.

I know to qualify for expungement you have to be done with probation...by the time I want to do all this, I will have 1 year of probation left, and I plan on asking the court for an early dismissal, and from there, try to qualify for expungement.

I was reading on the LA superior court website, that you can file all this stuff yourself (early probation dismissal, and expungement). They pretty much make it sound easy - you just print, and fill out certain forms, and then mail them in, along with a letter stating why you wish for early dismissal or expungement. They say you can also include school diplomas, transcripts, etc. I guess to show good merit and such.

Anyway, I know things are always easier with a lawyer, but is one really necessary for this process? It doesn't really seem like a lawyer would do things *that* much different than I could do myself. I mean, it's simple paperwork and stuff like that. Or is it absolutely necessary to get a lawyer for this?

Also, what are the chances that LA county will grant my requests? Are these kind of approvals next to impossible to come by? What determines whether or not they grant your requests? I know you obviously have to qualify, but beyond basic qualifications, what makes them say yes or no?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">