• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

F/T employer wants me to quit P/T job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

med88

What is the name of your state? Iowa

I work F/T for home improvement chain. I also work P/T for a coffee chain. Now my F/T employer is wanting me to quit my P/T job so I can be basically "on-call" for all shifts at F/T job. Obviously I make more money at the F/T job but I enjoy the extra cash the P/T job provides. There is no conflict of interest in what I do at the coffee place.

This morning I was at work at my P/T job and my F/T employer called my P/T place of employment just "to see if I was planning on working today" (not scheduled there till long after my shift at P/T job). First, they (F/T employer) have my cell phone number so no need to contact me via P/T job. Clearly they did this to harass me, coerce me into quitting AND/OR try to to get me in trouble at P/T job.

Besides quitting my F/T job (whiich I cannot afford without having another lined up), do I have any recourse to keep this from happening again?

Thank you for your help.

mlane58

Clearly they did this to harass me, coerce me into quitting AND/OR try to to get me in trouble at P/T job.
How exactly is your FT employer harassing or coercing you? Nothing in post even hints at this happening. Your FT employer can't force you to stop a pt job, but they have to keep you employed either.

xylene

Inform the boss you would love to accept the offer to go on call but would need a shift differential that would accommodate the loss of income in your second job.

They can accpet or decline.

They can insist you go on call with no compensation.

Or they can fire you.

Beth3

Clearly they did this to harass me, coerce me into quitting AND/OR try to to get me in trouble at P/T job. You're going waaaay off the deep end here. Explain to your boss you need the income the second job provides and see what, if anything, he offers by way of additional compensation to make it worth your while to quit your PT job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">