• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Facing 3 felony charges? PLEASE HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mario23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I was driving back from ASU after taking a placement test, on the way back home I wanted to stop and get food for my mother and me from this Chinese restaurant, I was unfamiliar with the area(I live 40miles north). I was having trouble finding the place, and I apparently made an illegal U-turn, but I don’t remember seeing a sign. Nearly at the parking lot of the restaurant, I was pulled over by an unmarked police car (Scottsdale police). As I parked the Police officer immediately stepped out of the vehicle and came to my car. I did have expired tags, and no proof of current insurance (but it wasn't expired, I just forgot to put the new one in). I ended up receiving two citations for that. He then asked me “Where is the weed?” I told him there wasn't any he said he smelled it, but I denied it. He then told me to step out the car, a second police officer came. They started searching for it and they could not find it. They said tell us where it is or the k-9 unit will come, I continued to deny it. The dog came and they still had trouble finding it, so they started ripping my car apart on the inside. They eventually found it (there was an ounce of marijuana, some of it was already bagged in small bags. They took me to jail and fingerprinted me and everything. Couple hours later the police officer asked me questions about what I was doing, and trying to get information out of me. I tried to make a story up that I was only transporting it, after 3 failed attempts to make up a story, I ended up telling the truth that I was selling it, and also who I was getting it from. He was mad I was lying to him all day; they ended up letting me go that night (after 6 hours). He told me I’m facing 3 charges (possession, intent to sell, and I think paraphernalia/ or lying to the police). I just turned 18 in April, I did this out of stupidity and in hopes of saving a little bit of money for college (I only have been doing it for 3 weeks). I'm enrolled into a university in hopes of going to medical school, and I'm majoring in bio-chemistry. This happened on 07-12-11, I’m still waiting for the charges in the mail. I have my whole life in front of me, I’m about to start college. I have no criminal record never been in trouble with the law before. What type of sentence am I facing? Is there any way to receive no jail time? Any advice would be appreciated, I am not a bad person just made a horrible mistake. I live in Arizona, Maricopa County.

Ozark_Sophist

You need an attorney. You had a right to remain silent, and you should have exercised that right. Do not speak to anyone about this situation unless it is your attorney.

Regardless of type of sentence, a conviction on those counts will make you ineligible for federal financial aid (length of ineligibility depends on charges), and your chances of ever getting into medical school are about nil.

Mass_Shyster

a conviction on those counts will make you ineligible for federal financial aid
I've was researching this for a friend, and could only find that the ineligibility comes if the charges came while receiving financial aid. That doesn't seem to be the case here, since OP hasn't started school yet. If you've got different information, I'd appreciate a pointer in that direction.

Also, these charges may cause deportation proceedings for a non-citizen.

ERAUPIKE

I've was researching this for a friend, and could only find that the ineligibility comes if the charges came while receiving financial aid. That doesn't seem to be the case here, since OP hasn't started school yet. If you've got different information, I'd appreciate a pointer in that direction.

That is not correct.

Mass_Shyster

That is not correct.
Thanks for the citation </sarcasm>

From the fafsa worksheet

Did the offense for possessing or selling illegal drugs occur during a period of enrollment for which you were receiving federal student aid (grants, loans and/or work-study)?

If No, change your answer to question 23 on your SAR to “1,” and sign and send us your SAR.

If Yes, go to question 4 on this worksheet.

“1” means your eligibility for federal student aid is not affected by question 23.

cyjeff

I have to ask....

Why in the hell would a smart kid that wants to be a doctor decide that the very best side job would be DRUG DEALER?

At no point did you think "Gee, since I want a job which will allow me to prescribe controlled substances, maybe I should make extra sure that I don't have any drug charges on my record."

Nope... you decided to do weed (which REEKS, by the way), deal weed and then lie to the police.

Oh, and then admit the whole thing.

I am not trying to be mean... but you need to shut up. Don't talk to your friends, don't talk to your teachers. ONLY talk to an attorney and hope to God that attorney can figure out a way to get this dismissed.

Sell everything you own.

LillianX

From the federal financial aid website (Student Aid on the Web) :

The Higher Education Act of 1965 as amended (HEA) suspends aid eligibility for students who have been convicted under federal or state law of the sale or possession of drugs, if the offense occurred during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving federal student aid (grants, loans, and/or work-study). If you have a conviction(s) for these offenses, call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) or go to the FAFSA on the WebSM site, click on "Before Beginning A FAFSA" in the left column, then click on "Student Aid Eligibility Worksheet" to find out how this law applies to you.

If you have lost federal student aid eligibility due to a drug conviction, you can regain eligibility if you pass two unannounced drug tests conducted by a drug rehabilitation program that complies with criteria established by the U.S. Department of Education.

Ozark_Sophist

OP Is/was starting school in the fall. He may now or will be enrolled by the time his court date rolls around.

FlyingRon

Hell, too bad he waited this long. His mugshot has aged off the Maricopa County mugshot of the day board.

cyjeff

My daughter starts school in the fall at a major university.

She, too, went to take these tests as part of orientation. The same orientation where she enrolled for fall classes.

She has also already sent in the applications for student loans/aid.... and has since her letter of acceptance arrived and she confirmed enrollment... which was back in April or May.

Enrollment happens long before the first day of class.

The Occultist

Mario, if this was simply a possession charge, things would have been a lot easier for yourself. However, the fact that you were selling has the potential to change things quite a bit. Since you do not have a criminal record, I highly doubt there will be any jail time involved, as AZ tends to be forgiving of first-time offenders of non-violent crimes. However, if the officers notes include the fact that you were very uncooperative, you may find a less-than-sympathetic judge hearing your case. Whether or not you think you can afford it, you need an attorney. Find a way to get one.

commentator

Have you even told your mother yet? It won't go away if you ignore it.

I agree with cyjeff, all this bull..... namby pamby, "What drugs? I don't have any drugs!" to the point that they had to bring in the dog, and all this "But I'm a college student, I make real good grades!" is going to infuriate the court system. Therefore, you need a very good attorney who will doubtless tell you to suck in, keep your mouth totally shut, and will try to get you the best possible outcome here, and anything you have to pay them will be well worth it.

You come across as a junior smart alec who thought they could get away with a lot because they have in high school, cause they're real smart, makes good grades and is going to medical school, who thinks cops (blue collars) are really dumb, and that any old story you can make up and present to them will be enough to fool them and will be something they haven't heard before. Therefore, STOP TALKING.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">