• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to Comply (Police) at toll on Whitestone Bridge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I may also look into an attorney depending upon cost.
I'd like to recommend one but I don't think that would be appreciated here. If you go to the TVB any day of the week (it's on Fordham Road and Crotona Avenue) you will find several attorneys in the hallway where the hearing rooms are. You can speak to a few and find out how much it would cost.

The officer did write under the description Failure to Comply (Police) so I thought he was a police officer. In front of his name it says PTO or BTO, I can't make out the first letter.
Well, "Police" as opposed to a flag person I suppose. It is BTO - Bridge and Tunnel Officer. Certainly not my favorite law enforcement personnel in the city.

HighwayMan

I think part of the problem here is understanding the layout of the toll plaza at the bridge. It's a mess, to say the least.
I concur. I'd use the word "disaster" actually. Hopefully if and when cashless tolling gets implemented the layout will be more streamlined.

On a positive note the southbound lanes were rearranged not too long ago. They used to have cash lanes to the far left and far right with EZPass in the middle. This would result in cars cutting across the entire toll plaza to get to shorter cash lanes on the opposite side. At least now they have all cash to the right and EZPass to the left. (northbound was always arranged the "right" way for some unknown reason). It's about time.

You Are Guilty

I concur. I'd use the word "disaster" actually. Hopefully if and when cashless tolling gets implemented the layout will be more streamlined.

On a positive note the southbound lanes were rearranged not too long ago. They used to have cash lanes to the far left and far right with EZPass in the middle. This would result in cars cutting across the entire toll plaza to get to shorter cash lanes on the opposite side. At least now they have all cash to the right and EZPass to the left. (northbound was always arranged the "right" way for some unknown reason). It's about time.
I never understood the reasoning for that. My best guess is it has something to do with the random placement of the "no trucks allowed" gates. (At least it looks random - they all look the same size to me).

Now if they'd just finish the damn on ramp construction so rush hour traffic can return to just miserable instead of slit-your-wrists...

HighwayMan

My best guess is it has something to do with the random placement of the "no trucks allowed" gates. (At least it looks random - they all look the same size to me).
They are different sizes. Try driving through one of the "no truck" ones and it feels considerably narrower.

I asked several BTOs about the arrangement. I was told at the time "it's just a bosses decision - no rhyme or reason to it".

slaru88

Update

I finally had my day and court and happy to report that the judge agreed with my position and I was found not guilty. I basically said the officer slammed his hand on my window and yelled stop which I did. The officer tried to say that he got me to stop and then when he was moving the other vehicle I started to move again. Not sure where that came from but I explained my side to the judge and he found enough inconsistency to rule in my favor.

The officer did say he made eye contact with me and used a hand signal to stop also in his defense. In my rebuttal I kept hammering home the point that I stopped immediately when he slammed my window and yelled stop. That he was on the median and I noticed the other car was still in the gate area when I stopped. Just happy it's over at this point since I had to come back once because the officer didn't show.

HighwayMan

Thank you for coming back with the update. I'm glad to see that the system worked for you, since it appeared that you were in the right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">