• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to Obey Highway Sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlyingRon

If you are looking at the intersection in Google Maps or something, there is a fence on the Air and Space Museum Parkway right after the turn off for Chantilly Baptist Lane, and you can't really proceed past there.
There is a gate in that fence and it is open and attended by a guard during most business hours. At other times it's opened via the employee/volunteers badge or by talking to security over the intercom.

You can't just assume there is NO traffic. The Church and the museum to get traffic, though it is very bursty (right before and after services or at normal federal go to work/go home times).

davidmcbeth3

Just went back there and there is a sign that says right lane must turn right, so no luck there.

I guess my only option is to go to court, explain to the prosecutor what happened, and hope for a favorable plea deal.
If the sign is properly posted your defenses are very limited.

FlyingRon

As previously stated, I'm quite familiar with that intersection. Unless he went all the way up to the intersection before stopping and trying to merge, I think he has a good case that he stopped and was trying to merge. The transition between accelelleration lane from the grade separated US-50/VA-28 intersection and the right turn lane is not well defined and the section in question is not very long.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
They are supplemental - you still need signs. Many times road markings are obscured. You may wish to review this issue again - I think I'm correct & provided a cite.
Signs are not necessary if the pavement markings are clear. They are not supplemental - they are able to stand on their own as traffic control devices.

davidmcbeth3

Signs are not necessary if the pavement markings are clear. They are not supplemental - they are able to stand on their own as traffic control devices.
Pavement markings may be clear but they are not always visible due to vehicular traffic; hence the need for signage.

Its a moot point for this OP as signage was present.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">