• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fall at waterpark

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

blameshifting

td225 said:
For those of us unfamiliar with water parks. The inner tubes are quite large. They can hold the weight of a 250 pound man or a four foot child. It would be impossible for most children between 52"-48" to carry an inner tube this size without using both hands. I have been to other water parks in Ohio most use a machine to carry the inner tubes from the end of the ride to the beginning. I believe they do this to prevent accidents. He went on the ride with a 13 and 10 year old sibling. They carried their own inner tubes. Only a large adult could carry more than one tube. The ride is designed for childen over 48 inches and persons weighing less then 250 pounds. Four foot tall children and 250 pound adults usually don't have a lot in common. Even if I went along on the ride I would not have been able to carry both inner tubes and hold my child's hand. I know accidents happen... This accident was and is preventable. Install equipment to carry the tubes, change height requirements or reroute the path to get rid on unnecessary stairs.
Since this water park attraction was obviously flawed, why did you allow your 5 year old child to use it?

Supervise your own children and if you don't think you can handle marching up stairs with a couple of tubes and your child in tow then feel perfectly free to STAY OFF THE RIDE.

I

imthe1nonly

My husband dislocated his shoulder on a waterslide here in California after he recieved insufficient instructions from the slide operator. He was told nothing on how to position his body before being allowed to go down the slide. His shoulder was dislocated when his elbow came in contact with the wall of the slide shoving his arm back and up in such a way to cause the injury.
We went to court. He had missed 2 1/2 months of work, needed physical therapy and possible surgery. We have 5 children and were only looking to recover what we had lost. Although not working had affected his self esteem (he has worked since age 15 and we have never been on public assistance) we were not seeking more than his wages.
The judge in our case decided that, even though the park lied about previous such injuries, he assumed the risk of injury when he chose to go down the waterslide.
Assuming the risk meaning you know it's potentially harmful or dangerous(like sitting in a stadium where a foul ball may hit you in the head) but you figure it's worth it.
For us this was basically the same as saying we were unfit parents by taking our children there. We "knowing" took them somewhere that was potentially harmful or dangerous.People have had their children taken away from them for less.
Our case was the first of it's kind to be decided this way as far as Amusement Park cases are concerned.
When you go to an Amusement Park your assuming the risk.

C

CamilleDu

td225 said:
For those of us unfamiliar with water parks. The inner tubes are quite large. They can hold the weight of a 250 pound man or a four foot child. It would be impossible for most children between 52"-48" to carry an inner tube this size without using both hands. I have been to other water parks in Ohio most use a machine to carry the inner tubes from the end of the ride to the beginning. I believe they do this to prevent accidents. He went on the ride with a 13 and 10 year old sibling. They carried their own inner tubes. Only a large adult could carry more than one tube. The ride is designed for childen over 48 inches and persons weighing less then 250 pounds. Four foot tall children and 250 pound adults usually don't have a lot in common. Even if I went along on the ride I would not have been able to carry both inner tubes and hold my child's hand. I know accidents happen... This accident was and is preventable. Install equipment to carry the tubes, change height requirements or reroute the path to get rid on unnecessary stairs.
So here you are admitting that your small child was put in peril.....and worse....you knew it. We just spent a week at a water park in Sandusky. My son is only 7, but his parents carried his tube up the tall stairways for him.
Why did we think to do this? So he could hold the handrail and prevent him from falling. The waterpark doesn't have to think for us and make sure we don't send 5 year olds up tall stairways without a parent - I should think that parents of small children are perfectly capable of foreseeing a dangerous event, IMO.

Last edited:

JETX

CamilleDu said:
So here you are admitting that your small child was put in peril.....and worse....you knew it.
Congratulations!!! You win the stupid post of the month award!!!
Not only for your post being of NO benefit or value to the forum, but also for making a post where the original writer hasn't posted in over TWO MONTHS!!!
Watch your mail for your award!!!

JETX

HomeGuru said:
May I ask what the award is this month?
It is an all expense (except transportation) paid fun-filled weekend in project housing in downtown Compton, CA.!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">