• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Falsely Detained for suspicion of Shoplifting when security devise wasn't deactivated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Happy Trails

pcgumshoe said:
From the cusomter's point of view: "Wow, they must really think that he stole something, for they are stopping him. He must be a criminal." Or simply, those alarms are NEVER right and they just annoy me.
I have seen the alarm go off on many people, not a single one of them had actually shoplifted. It was due to error of the checkout person not being successful of deactivating something.

When I have been stopped, I start putting my bags through one at a time, so I can find the bag with the problem. Then I gladly step through the system to show that I don't have anything concealed on me.

Being through the situation myself and seeing others that have gone through it; I don't think that they are guilty at all. When the alarm goes off on me, I could give a crap what anyone thinks, because it isn't my fault that it happened.

I do have to add I have never seen anyone act like you did. Had I seen them act in such a manner, I would have thought they had something to hide. That being said, if you felt like people thought you were guilty or a criminal, it was because of the way you acted. (By not stopping and letting them deactivate the item.)

I also understand that with your disorder, that what you thought other people might have been thinking, triggered more anxiety with you. So who's fault was that the employee's, management, yours????

Who knows, I wasn't there.

So maybe a letter to the big-wigs is something you should do. Whether or not you will get a response to it is solely up to them.

Otherwise you are in the same position the others are in. (links above) People who feel they have been wronged and their rights were violated.

pcgumshoe

Keefe v Gimbel's (1984)

I found this case and took some excerpts. Everybody has said, my RE-action to their negligence was wrong. THEY were the ones who failed, and still do fail, to deactivate the sensors. Most everyone who has gotten upset with me has shared stories of seeing this happen. Obviously, $75,000 was not sufficient deterrent if it occurs still EVERYWHERE. "He who casts the first stone..." I didn't make a mistake first, they did.

In the case “Keefe v. Gimbel’s (478 N.Y.S.2d 745), the appellate court heard cross appeals in a case where a woman was stopped by security personal because “a large white plastic sensomatic device had been left on one of the coats by the defendant's employee at the time of her purchase,” and “When she attempted to leave the store, she testified that red lights began to flash and a "bell like a fire engine" went off, that a red-jacketed man "grabbed her by the arm"; that another "tore the boxes out of her hand" and loudly commanded she accompany them… that a large crowd gathered, some of whom she knew….” The jury awarded $100,000 for damages and $500,000 for exemplary damages. It was further found that, “Her earlier physical problems were exacerbated by the within occurrence…”

There was testimony by the chief security officer that, “similar erroneous "stops" happen 20 times a day (and the "door monitor" estimated 100 erroneous "stops" a week).”
“Clearly the jury found and decided that the admitted negligence of defendant was misconduct which transgressed mere ordinary negligence and constituted a reckless, willful and wanton disregard of both the rights of the plaintiff, to whom it happened twice within a space of an hour, and the public to whom a mistaken "stop" occurs 20 times a day. The defendant was and is duty-bound to take appropriate measures to stop the mishandling of customers who unwarily come onto defendant's premises, expecting a pleasant shopping trip but who experience something quite traumatic at least 100 times a week.”

They court queried: “Should a legitimate consumer have to assume a risk because there are others on the premises who may be a detriment to the vendor's business? Must they assume the risk now of being stopped, being physically "pushed around" to the accompaniment of bells and flashing lights, detention and possible arrest simply because the store and its employees are mindful only of the store's own interests? The law has long required a property owner, a storekeeper, etc., to keep the physical premises in a reasonably safe condition without hidden "traps." Is this any less a trap? Should a lesser degree of care be required, when it is within the total control of the financially benefitted defendant, to prevent harm of this kind to the consumer? It is inconceivable that the Legislature enacted GBL 217 and 218 to confer a "sword" into the hands of negligent mercantile establishments, and it is significant that while the GBL enumerates the types of actions in which the defense may be raised, it does not include actions for negligence and/or gross negligence. Expressio unius est exclusio alterius!"
"The court determines that punitive damages in the sum of $75,000 will serve as a sufficient deterrent to prevent repetition by the within defendant and others similarly situated, and will encourage better training and supervision of employees and the hiring of more employees, if necessary, to accord innocent shoppers the care and courtesy **751 they are entitled to. It may also motivate the introduction of a better system that will not entrap the innocent consumer.”

Last edited:

Lynx 36

You obviously have no life. I can't believe some loser would devote his life to this. Just open up your bag let them look and this thing wouldn't have happened.

I'll tell you what. Since you don't want to listen to anyone on here. Why don't you just go ahead and sue them then?

Quote: "As far as Lynx's comments, thank you for trying to increase your posts numbers. I originally posted in the discrimination forum as I constantly feel discriminated against BECAUSE people can't see MY wheel chair."

Ohhh pooor meeee!!!!!! You remind me of that idiot on the news a few weeks ago who got creamed while crossing a busy intersection in his wheelchair. This moron semed to think he had the right of way b/c he was in a wheelchair. Also, made a habit of blocking traffic on main roads previously. Well guess what, he was found liable f/ his own death. The driver that hit him was not charged. So stop being so bitter and blaming everyone else f/ your disability. Learn to work w/ it instead of sitting back and feeling sorry f/ yourself. NOBODY OWES YOU ANYTHING YOU MISERABLE EXCUSE FOR A HUMAN BEING!!!!!

Quote: "You must work as an exit checker. Hope someone doesn't nut up on you some day and go beyond REFUSING to let you MANHANDLE them!"

I'm actually only an assistant exit checker. I got demoted when I beat the crap out of someone b/c they wouldn't let me check their bags. It's a shame b/c I was on the list to be promoted to exit checker manager. Alas, it's tough working in the corporate world these days.

S

seniorjudge

"...I'm actually only an assistant exit checker...."

You don't know how lucky you are.

I am assistant buggy barn checker: it's me that gets push all them danged buggies out of their stalls back into the store in all kinds of weather.

BelizeBreeze

Your OTHER post is all that needs to be addressed here. The employee was well within their rights to stop and verify that what was on your receipt was what was actually in the bag, nothing more or less.

Your actions to conceal the contents after tripping an alarm contributed to any 'damages' you imagine.

You have absolutely no case and anyone who tells you different is an idiot.

The case you cited has nothing whatsoever to do with your preceived case.

xrevvyx

I disagree with EVERYONE who has posted before me - both on this and the 'other' thread.

*I* think you have a VALID case. Do you have $5,000.00 for a retainer ? and probably another $50,000.00 in the bank to cover your legal fees, which of course you will recover AFTER you win, but no lawyer is going to take this case on a contingency -

SUE SUE SUE - sue to your little heart's content.​

S

seniorjudge

xrevvyx said:
I disagree with EVERYONE who has posted before me - both on this and the 'other' thread.

*I* think you have a VALID case. Do you have $5,000.00 for a retainer ? and probably another $50,000.00 in the bank to cover your legal fees, which of course you will recover AFTER you win, but no lawyer is going to take this case on a contingency -

SUE SUE SUE - sue to your little heart's content.​
Hear! Hear!

Or...

is it There! There!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">