• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LLPatterson

To: I AM ALWAYS LIABLE....
Someone sounds angry!
First..neither party signed a prenup.
Second..Wife has not been employed for 32 years. There were many reasons for this..among these, 1) husband wanted wife at home raising the kids,(wife agreed), 2) husband's financial situation could be listed in the Fortune 400.(Most likely is) 3) husband states he can afford to support wife in the manner she was accustomed to while they were married, but now thinks she should supplement some of her spousal support by getting a job. 4) wife had one year of college, before meeting husband, and never returned, therefore her career was and has been her family for 32 years.
The question I asked previously, regarding "covenant and agree", gave wife as well as others who read this in the paragraph, (stated from my last post), reason to believe that she would not have to go out and find employment to support herself. If this had been written another way, she says she would have gone back to school to earn a degree which would have paid her enough to continue living comfortably.
Now, tell me, why this doesn't seem unfair.
Vanessa

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Hello Vanessa - -

Please put this latest post of yours into your original thread by copying the text, and then clicking on "Post a Reply" under the last post of LegalBeagle in that thread, and then paste it there.

Also, state who you are in this matter, and also what type of document your quoted phrase came from; e.g., a Marital Settlement Agreement, a Post-Nuptual Agreement, etc.

This will allow cohesiveness in the subject matter.

Thanks.

IAAL

L

LLPatterson

LLPatterson said:
To: I AM ALWAYS LIABLE....
Someone sounds angry!
First..neither party signed a prenup.
Second..Wife has not been employed for 32 years. There were many reasons for this..among these, 1) husband wanted wife at home raising the kids,(wife agreed), 2) husband's financial situation could be listed in the Fortune 400.(Most likely is) 3) husband states he can afford to support wife in the manner she was accustomed to while they were married, but now thinks she should supplement some of her spousal support by getting a job. 4) wife had one year of college, before meeting husband, and never returned, therefore her career was and has been her family for 32 years.
The question I asked previously, regarding "covenant and agree", gave wife as well as others who read this in the paragraph, (stated from my last post), reason to believe that she would not have to go out and find employment to support herself. If this had been written another way, she says she would have gone back to school to earn a degree which would have paid her enough to continue living comfortably.
Now, tell me, why this doesn't seem unfair.
Vanessa

L

LLPatterson

My post, regarding the subject of "The parties covenant and agree that neither Husband nor Wife expects or contemplates Wife becoming employed and based upon the manner and standard of living of the parties, the same is not necessary", comes after a sentence in the same paragraph, which states "Husband shall pay to Wife for the support of Wife and the minor children the combined sum of $____ per month payable on the first day of each and every calendar month commencing______ and continuing thereafter until the death or remarriage of Wife, or until further order of a Court of competent jurisdiction." This document is from an MSA.
I am interested in knowing what others may think the sentence, "The parties...etc.." means to them. The Husband's counsel believes that if the first sentence ("Husband shall pay to Wife") in the paragraph, can be modified, then the second sentence should be modified as well. My colleagues and I disagree. What opinion do you voice?
Vanessa

L

LLPatterson

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Hello Vanessa - -

Please put this latest post of yours into your original thread by copying the text, and then clicking on "Post a Reply" under the last post of LegalBeagle in that thread, and then paste it there.

Also, state who you are in this matter, and also what type of document your quoted phrase came from; e.g., a Marital Settlement Agreement, a Post-Nuptual Agreement, etc.

This will allow cohesiveness in the subject matter.

Thanks.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">