• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

farmed out child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada If a county has decided not to pursue child support collections because of a disability and inability to make any more payments, and the remaining debt was sold to an outside agency(Supportkids), can someone file for bankruptcy and have those debts taken care of? Our county has decided to close the case, and the ex wife sold her case to the outside agency, and now they are seeking payment. Could HE file for bankruptcy and have that taken care of, or would that not fall under the bankruptcy guidelines? Please help....

ecmst12

I hope child support payments can't be discharged in bankrupcy. I hope the kid's mom can collect every time he manages to scrape together 2 dollars to rub together. Sorry but I don't think you'll find much sympathy for deadbeats here. He obviously wasn't too disabled to FATHER the kid.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Excellent response - but this is a duplicate post:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/child-support-98/disabled-only-1-car-453441.html

Just in case you didn't know...This is NOT a case of a deadbeat dad, far from it. Looking for the best solution for a crappy situation. Please read my thread in child support before you make snap judgements. How can you always assume it's the dad and not the mom? Looking for LEGAL help, not to get out of paying my obligations.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Just in case you didn't know...This is NOT a case of a deadbeat dad, far from it. Looking for the best solution for a crappy situation. Please read my thread in child support before you make snap judgements. How can you always assume it's the dad and not the mom? Looking for LEGAL help, not to get out of paying my obligations.
Hell, *I* am the CP and *I* am owed in excess of $100,000 by my ex-wife, and even *I* sometimes ASSume it's the dad...

ecmst12

I didn't assume anything - you said HE wants to file for BK and ex WIFE is the one owed the money!

Ok maybe you didn't mean to be a deadbeat and maybe you just had some crappy luck and maybe you're doing the best you can. The economy sucks for everyone. But for the sake of all the deadbeat moms and dads that ARE out there and that WOULD try to use BK to weasel out of child support payments - I hope the system doesn't allow this.

Want to be perfectly clear...Ex wife did not seek child support for over ten years, until he said he was getting remarried, until the "children" were in their late twenties, early thirties. was paying until his accident, which left him in a coma, and he has had 13 strokes.....Will never go back to work, county dissmissed the case, then she sold it to an outside collection agency. They take 1/2 MY tax refunds, rebate, etc., and then I have to fight them to get it back. Simply filing an injured spouse form is not enough. we just really want to know how far this will go. If our LAST resort is to file for bankruptcy, then so be it. Like I said before, just looking for help, to find out what our legal recourse is, not to stop paying our bills. Thanx in advance for any information I can get.

garrula lingua

Want to be perfectly clear...Ex wife did not seek child support for over ten years, until he said he was getting remarried, until the "children" were in their late twenties, early thirties. was paying until his accident, which left him in a coma, and he has had 13 strokes.....Will never go back to work, county dissmissed the case, then she sold it to an outside collection agency. They take 1/2 MY tax refunds, rebate, etc., and then I have to fight them to get it back. Simply filing an injured spouse form is not enough. we just really want to know how far this will go. If our LAST resort is to file for bankruptcy, then so be it. Like I said before, just looking for help, to find out what our legal recourse is, not to stop paying our bills. Thanx in advance for any information I can get.

He still owed the child support and it should be paid to the custodial parent.
From everything you've said, I conclude he's a dirtbag.
He should pay his debts, instead of having his girlfriend try to figure out how he can dodge his responsibility.
My free advice: save the money he would pay a bankruptcy attorney, and give that money to the custodial parent.

If you two only knew what you were talking about.....How sad to see people of such intelligence speaking so foolishly....This isn't something that is new to us, this has been going on for years. When she realized that he had moved on with his life, after he quit a job in L.A. to come and take care of her after surgery, only after he said he was getting remarried, did it all the sudden become important to her. At the time of the divorce, he was stationed overseas, and was making the payments as ordered. The children were abandoned by their mother, left to fend for themselves while she took up with a meth head, and they were left alone, in a house with no furniture, or food, until their father returned from Korea. So the fact that NOW she has turned this over to an outside agency, knows what his limitations are, and still wants to bleed him dry, is ludicrous. He receives only SSI and that is it....So, if we have to be the "bad guys" to get her to back off, then so be it. I was just looking for help, not to be slammed by people who don't know the whole truth

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">