• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father quits job to not pay child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Schwippsy

What is the name of your state? IL
I am trying to find out what a reasonable child support order would like.
The Father of two very young children quit his job of 60k/year to not be vulnerable for a child support court order. Few months later took another job for 42k/year and sure decided to pay a lot less than what was agreed between mother and father in the first place. Father now quit job again, because he enjoys not working and hardly contributing to the upbringing of his children much more. :confused: He owns several (4 two flats) rental properties, that he claims are empty or with non paying tenants. He has a court order for one child out of previous marriage of $650.
I have found child support calcualtors on the web myself. Can one pls explain, if a court order would consider what he is able to make in his profession or simply accepting him as an unemployed landlord with negative income. What else would the judge be taking into consideration? Is the mother's income/expenses relevant? Any insight to this matter is very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your responses.
Have a great weekend!:eek:

Me and ex agreed on an amount in Feb of 2005.

Im in NY so the laws may be different in your area.
My daughters father did this too only he has no property etc (this was Dec 05/Jan 06)-1st mod petition). In my case (I had a lawyer he knew the laws etc so i let him do the work). My ex was told he couldnt quit his job and have the support lowered (also involved injury we had ex boss tesitfy confirming he quit and jobs are in area looking for help).

They dont give up though if they dont want to pay he is going to try anything and everything to avoid it. I am currently going through 3rd modification petition filed by my ex.

Do you have a lawyer? If you dont and you have enough for one it may be worth it to even just talk to one about the laws in your county/state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">