• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father refusing to replace dirty air filters

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmoothPinkJazz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

We have lived in our home in Arizona since September of 2011, and are still on our first set of air filters. However, my father is refusing to replace them, believing that I am trying to make him spend money for no reason, which is a blatant lie. He said he will not replace them until September of this year.

My mother told me that she and I will inspect the filters tomorrow. However, I have a concern that my father will be dishonest about their condition.

Cooling season is around the corner, and I will not tolerate dirty air filters for the entire summer. What type of legal advice should I take to force my father to replace them?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

We have lived in our home in Arizona since September of 2011, and are still on our first set of air filters. However, my father is refusing to replace them, believing that I am trying to make him spend money for no reason, which is a blatant lie. He said he will not replace them until September of this year.

My mother told me that she and I will inspect the filters tomorrow. However, I have a concern that my father will be dishonest about their condition.

Cooling season is around the corner, and I will not tolerate dirty air filters for the entire summer. What type of legal advice should I take to force my father to replace them?
They are air filters. Not terribly expensive or difficult to replace. Why not just do it yourself and stop the drama?

(In my place, we replace the air filters every 3-4 months, at a cost of about $10-15 each.)

SmoothPinkJazz

who owns the home?
Both my mom and dad. My mom agreed to me that we will inspect the filters. However, my dad is simply being a facist by refusing to allow me to buy the filters and install them. And even if my mom agrees with me, my dad will not allow the installation of new ones no matter how dirty the filters are.

sandyclaus

I tried to suggest that, but he wouldn't allow it. He said he would immediately remove them and install the old filters.
I find it very hard to believe that your dad would remove perfectly good, new filters that he neither had to purchase nor install just to replace them with the old, dirty filters. That makes absolutely no sense at all.

Have you asked him what his particular attachment is to these old dirty filters?

SmoothPinkJazz

I find it very hard to believe that your dad would remove perfectly good, new filters that he neither had to purchase nor install just to replace them with the old, dirty filters. That makes absolutely no sense at all.

Have you asked him what his particular attachment is to these old dirty filters?
He simply said it is his house. He is clearly doing this in bad faith just to oppress me.

Isis1

He simply said it is his house. He is clearly doing this in bad faith just to oppress me.
it's his house. you want spanking new filters installed, buy your own house. and do NOT throw away his personal property. it doesn't matter WHY. it's still not your house. not your say so.

SmoothPinkJazz

it's his house. you want spanking new filters installed, buy your own house. and do NOT throw away his personal property. it doesn't matter WHY. it's still not your house. not your say so.
But even if my mother agrees that they need to be replaced (the title of the house includes her name), my father won't allow it neither if me nor my mother purchase new filters. This is worthy of death penalty.

PeterK01

Not to oppress you; his money, his house.

The filters work better the further they are loaded up with particulate. It is just costing him more money/electricty to pull the air through dirty filters.

Worried about it, replace them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">