• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father relocated without children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ran0423

What is the name of your state (Florida)

Hi everyone, before I decide to retain a lawyer or not I wanted to see how difficult my case would be, if difficult at all.

I will try to make this as simple as possible (although it probably is and I'm just over complicating the situation).

So here are the facts:

Long story short, within 1 week of our divorce/custody agreement was finalized my ex husband moved to New Jersey. At the time he stated he wanted to see if he could get a better job then what he currently had in Florida (not sure if the reason matters).

In the parenting plan that was filed, it was a 4 night 3 night split (myself being the 4 nights). I had to pay him $323.67 in child support. We were to split everything else 50/50 including daycare/aftercare/summer camp, health insurance, insurance deductibles, medications & after school activities. I have not paid him any support since he has not had the kids at all since the divorce. He actually has sent me about 100 dollars a month and does not pay for daycare/insurance or summer camp. So I did a calculation to see if I would still owe him back pay when I go back to do the modification (worse case scenario I am hoping). By my calculations I don't owe him any money, he actually still owes me money for daycare/insurance and other misc things.

So now we are 1 year down the road in which he fully established residency in New Jersey (changed drivers license & has rented a home for at least the last 9 months). He is currently employed (although he has had this job on and off for the last year) and there was 2/3 months that he collected unemployment as well as working under the table for family and friends. He has visited the children 1 time in the last year for maybe 2-3 days but did not keep them over night.

I definitely want to modify the child support and also change the custody agreement so that I get sole custody. From what I have been reading, it is extremely hard to get sole custody in Florida but seeing as the father is out of state and plans to stay there I am wondering if this will actually be that hard to do in my case? Also, will they agree that I should have the children 100% of the time, as in no over nights? I don't want to put the children in a situation that makes them have an overnight if he ever comes down for a visit and them having to stay at one of his friends houses that they do not know (his friends like to "party" a lot so this would not be a good environment for them). I would not mind if he were to take them and stay at a hotel (but he has yet to do this and would rather stay with his friends). How do I word this in the custody agreement without sounding like I am being difficult? Can I even put that in the custody agreement? Also, if he wants to take them to Jersey #1- who pays for the travel #2- Can I put the appropriate age to fly alone at "16"? (He can always fly with them without an objection from me) #3 If he has a roommate and no bedroom or bed for them in Jersey, is that considered inappropriate housing? Honestly, I just don't want to put them in an uncomfortable situation. They will already be away from their family that they spend every night with and at the time that this scenario comes into play will be long enough to feel out of place in someone else's home.

Lastly, for the child support- is it possible that I will owe back pay? In Florida I see that if 1 parent does not have the children for at least 20% of the time it seems like they just automatically pay their portion of support. Am I reading this correctly?

Sorry for all of the questions, I didn't realize how many I had when I started writing this. I have tried to research this to find out what would happen if I modified the support/custody agreement and haven't seen many if any cases like this. Everything about relocation seems to be if the custodial parent leaves with the children, not many with the parent leaving the children. I honestly am just not sure if I should just leave it alone and keep it as is or take some action.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (Florida)

Hi everyone, before I decide to retain a lawyer or not I wanted to see how difficult my case would be, if difficult at all.

I will try to make this as simple as possible (although it probably is and I'm just over complicating the situation).

So here are the facts:

Long story short, within 1 week of our divorce/custody agreement was finalized my ex husband moved to New Jersey. At the time he stated he wanted to see if he could get a better job then what he currently had in Florida (not sure if the reason matters).

In the parenting plan that was filed, it was a 4 night 3 night split (myself being the 4 nights). I had to pay him $323.67 in child support. We were to split everything else 50/50 including daycare/aftercare/summer camp, health insurance, insurance deductibles, medications & after school activities.
Its quite unusual that you were ordered to pay any support since you had the children the majority of the nights. Do you make a ton more money than he did?

I have not paid him any support since he has not had the kids at all since the divorce. He actually has sent me about 100 dollars a month and does not pay for daycare/insurance or summer camp. So I did a calculation to see if I would still owe him back pay when I go back to do the modification (worse case scenario I am hoping). By my calculations I don't owe him any money, he actually still owes me money for daycare/insurance and other misc things.
If he files for contempt for you not paying child support then you can file for contempt for him not paying his share of the other expenses...as well as making the argument that he has not had the children in his custody at all.

So now we are 1 year down the road in which he fully established residency in New Jersey (changed drivers license & has rented a home for at least the last 9 months). He is currently employed (although he has had this job on and off for the last year) and there was 2/3 months that he collected unemployment as well as working under the table for family and friends. He has visited the children 1 time in the last year for maybe 2-3 days but did not keep them over night.
OK

I definitely want to modify the child support and also change the custody agreement so that I get sole custody. From what I have been reading, it is extremely hard to get sole custody in Florida but seeing as the father is out of state and plans to stay there I am wondering if this will actually be that hard to do in my case?
There is no reason why he cannot have joint legal custody (joint decision making).

Also, will they agree that I should have the children 100% of the time, as in no over nights? I don't want to put the children in a situation that makes them have an overnight if he ever comes down for a visit and them having to stay at one of his friends houses that they do not know (his friends like to "party" a lot so this would not be a good environment for them).
That is just not going to happen. You need to accept that dad will get overnights.

I would not mind if he were to take them and stay at a hotel (but he has yet to do this and would rather stay with his friends). How do I word this in the custody agreement without sounding like I am being difficult? Can I even put that in the custody agreement?
Sorry but you just cannot do that.

Also, if he wants to take them to Jersey #1- who pays for the travel
He should since he created the difference. However, if you make a whole lot more money than he does you might have to share the cost.

#2- Can I put the appropriate age to fly alone at "16"? (He can always fly with them without an objection from me)
The judge would slam you hard for trying to say that they could not fly alone until they are 16. As soon as the oldest is 11 or 12 they would probably all be able to fly without an adult, as long as they were together.

#3 If he has a roommate and no bedroom or bed for them in Jersey, is that considered inappropriate housing? Honestly, I just don't want to put them in an uncomfortable situation. They will already be away from their family that they spend every night with and at the time that this scenario comes into play will be long enough to feel out of place in someone else's home.
Air mattresses on the floor are considered totally adequate for visitation.

Lastly, for the child support- is it possible that I will owe back pay?
Yes, but he is going to owe you pack pay as well for the other stuff.

In Florida I see that if 1 parent does not have the children for at least 20% of the time it seems like they just automatically pay their portion of support. Am I reading this correctly?
Child support is court ordered and is supposed to be paid until the court order is modified or vacated.

Sorry for all of the questions, I didn't realize how many I had when I started writing this. I have tried to research this to find out what would happen if I modified the support/custody agreement and haven't seen many if any cases like this. Everything about relocation seems to be if the custodial parent leaves with the children, not many with the parent leaving the children. I honestly am just not sure if I should just leave it alone and keep it as is or take some action.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You definitely should not "leave it alone". You truly need to get parenting time/custody/child support modified to reflect the fact that the children are mainly with you and you should not be paying child support, he should be paying child support.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Not paying child support could result in OP having a warrant out for her arrest because non-payment of support is a crime in most states.
OP screwed up by not paying per a court order. It is not JUST contempt. While dad may be in contempt for not paying daycare and such, that doesn't rise to the level of a criminal act like non support does.

LdiJ

Not paying child support could result in OP having a warrant out for her arrest because non-payment of support is a crime in most states.
OP screwed up by not paying per a court order. It is not JUST contempt. While dad may be in contempt for not paying daycare and such, that doesn't rise to the level of a criminal act like non support does.
There cannot be a warrant out for her arrest unless someone has filed for contempt for non payment of support. Since she has obviously not moved she would know if someone had filed for contempt.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
There cannot be a warrant out for her arrest unless someone has filed for contempt for non payment of support. Since she has obviously not moved she would know if someone had filed for contempt.
You are wrong. She could be charged CRIMINALLY. Why do you think only contempt matters? Huh? You are missing a whole big piece of this. She owes the money for when she was ordered to pay child support and did not have the court order changed. It is that simple.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">