• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father wants to give up rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dandap

What is the name of your state? California
I have 100% physical, legal, sole custody with the father having very limited, monitored visitation alternate Sats. for 4 hours. Now he wants to give up 100% of his parental rights to get out of paying child support, which I would gladly give up as it isn't a money issue. He is feeling the financial choke hold now and is in arrears. He wants to know if I will sign the papers. I know it isn't that easy. How could I go about having it written in stone so that he couldn't come back later down the road like an adoption gone bad??? Please help!:( Is this even possible???What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

R

roccoswife

dad cant terminate rights unless mom has stepdad wanting to adopt

dandap said:
I have 100% physical, legal, sole custody with the father having very limited, monitored visitation alternate Sats. for 4 hours. Now he wants to give up 100% of his parental rights to get out of paying child support, which I would gladly give up as it isn't a money issue. He is feeling the financial choke hold now and is in arrears. He wants to know if I will sign the papers. I know it isn't that easy. How could I go about having it written in stone so that he couldn't come back later down the road like an adoption gone bad??? Please help!:( Is this even possible???What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
not going to happen unless you have a husband willing to adopt the child. if he is feeling financially strapped, maybe he should get another job, but he wont be allowed to terminate his rights to get out of supporting his child, it doesnt work that way. judges expect both parents to support their children. not just one.

ceara19

dandap said:
Why is his visitation limited?

ceara19

dandap said:
His visitation is limited because he has a serious drug abuse history.
That in and of itself isn't going to be enough to terminate his rights. Especially if there won't be a step parent adopting the child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">