• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

father's rights while in prison

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sbaldwin

What is the name of your state? OK
Does a father in prison have any visitation rights with his child? Can some one please point me to some actual laws, if there are any on the matter?
My mother in law wants to know for her son (my brother in law). I'm pretty sure of the answer, but she would like to read about any actual laws. Thanks!

LdiJ

sbaldwin said:
What is the name of your state? OK
Does a father in prison have any visitation rights with his child? Can some one please point me to some actual laws, if there are any on the matter?
My mother in law wants to know for her son (my brother in law). I'm pretty sure of the answer, but she would like to read about any actual laws. Thanks!
I doubt if any states have laws on the books that specifically address that. I have not encountered any.

However, I will tell you that while I have seen a handful of cases where a judge ordered that a parent in prison be given visitation....the vast majority of cases that I have seen did not go that way. Most judges felt that prison wasn't a place for children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">