• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FCRA - authorization to access information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Country Living

Texas. I can't find the best place to put this question, so I'll put it here.

My husband went to the local hospital for an ultrasound. He has insurance and had already met the deductible. His recent TU credit report showed the hospital, as well as its parent affiliation, accessed his credit report four times in the month in which he had the ultrasound. Yes, that's right - four times.

When we questioned their right to access his personal, private financial information we were told (1) it was to protect him from identity theft and (2) they could under FCRA. We asked for a copy of the form he signed to give them authorization and they are not producing it. They maintain their inquiry does not impact his credit score. I maintain that's not the reason for our concern - they shouldn't have accessed his information without his consent.

Did they have the right to get his information without authorization?What is the name of your state?

JETX

Did they have the right to get his information without authorization?
Without the ability to read ALL the documents he signed... the likely answer is yes.
The hospital is granting him 'credit' in providing treatment to him without payment. That makes it very likely that the admission form(s) include an authorization to check his credit. Read those forms.

And before you respond, his insurance status has nothing to do with this. The insurance 'deal' is between your husband and his insurance company... and the hospital is not involved.

Country Living

Thanks. He wasn't admitted, although that may not mean anything. We'll contact the hospital again and try to get a copy of everything he signed. For some reason they are reluctant to provide the documents.

I cannot fathom why they said they were protecting him from identity theft by getting his credit report. Do you have any thoughts on this?

I'm curious, and will ask, if they refuse treatment to anyone who has a less-than-stellar credit report.

Texas changed the law September 1st to allow everyone, not just identity theft victims, to put a credit freeze in place at all three bureaus and we have done so. The hospital won't be able to do these inquiries in the future unless we unlock the freeze. I guess then we'll see how important a credit check is to them. If this becomes a big deal with this hospital, we'll have procedures done in the next town at a hospital who doesn't run these checks.

We're not hiding anything - I probably would have overlooked a single inquiry; but, four taps into the report in the same month seems excessive. And now that I'm getting lame, and almost defensive, answers from them it's causing me to push this a bit more.

JETX

Texas changed the law September 1st to allow everyone, not just identity theft victims, to put a credit freeze in place at all three bureaus
Nothing new... you have had that right under federal law for several years.

The hospital won't be able to do these inquiries in the future unless we unlock the freeze.
Not true. The credit alert doesn't prevent inquiries.

If this becomes a big deal with this hospital, we'll have procedures done in the next town at a hospital who doesn't run these checks.
I think you will find it far more often that a hospital or other creditor will run your credit than not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">