• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Federal contractor maybe misclassified employee. Fed demanding to see personal computer for no reason.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

I still think that my response, government or not, would be that they were welcome to inspect my personal computer that I purchased with my own money, but they will need to come to me to do the inspection, as I will not be giving them custody of my personal property.

quincy

I still think that my response, government or not, would be that they were welcome to inspect my personal computer that I purchased with my own money, but they will need to come to me to do the inspection, as I will not be giving them custody of my personal property.
Permitting the government to inspect your personal computer is like agreeing to speak to a police investigator without your attorney present. All in all, a very bad idea.

quincy

Valid point.
I don’t doubt that the government will be able to inspect the computer at some point but, if a subpoena is necessary, any subpoena that asks for a limitless search could be challenged on a variety of grounds. An attorney who can look at the computer contents can best tell what can be or should be excluded from search.

Not IC

Hi guys things have moved on and they are no longer asking for our laptops. We didn’t get paid for a week so we reported to our manager here that if we didn’t get paid within the next day or two we could no longer report for work. We were Scheduled for a meeting with the boss here who told us we should have reported the pay issue sooner. He the. Proceeded to tell us that if we don’t show up that’s unprofessional and he would make sure we would never get a job with the federal government and he would let everyone know how unprofessional we were. I said what about our final check they have no incentive to pay that. He said finish the contract and go to court that’s not my problem. To me it seems like we reasonably reported a legal issue and got threatened. It seemed like he retaliated against us for pursuing our rights. It’s important to note that this is the 6th time where payment was a issue and they have been fully aware each time. I didnt get paid my first 7 weeks of work, but I needed the job so I stuck around. I’m also thinking we may have been misclassified as contractors because of the way they treat us. I feel like the feds here also interfered with our contract by telling us our company was going to lose the contract and telling us to apply at a specific company that would get the contract. They also showed us proprietary information (bid Anount) about the company that was supposedly going to get the contract. Our current company has a one year with option to renew. A former employee of our company worked badly for a few months then quit. It’s very hard to find people to do what we do that are willing to come here. Me and my coworker were able to complete all the work required, do additional work and pull overtime to cover lost hours from previous employee. It seems to me that if they did intervene in the bidding process our current company would have gotten the optional one year renewal.

-does flsa apply to federal entity?
-if they did improperly intervene and cancel the one year renewal wouldn’t that possibly benefit us as well as our current company in terms of damages?
-our boss here is a prick. However I feel like if he didn’t retaliate against us or interfere with our contract we would probably continue on as contractors and possibly later become employees.
- do you see any type of case where there could be damages?

either way we will be reporting him and the toxic work environment. There are a lot of employees here scared to say anything.

Not IC

It also might be important to note along the way comments were made how good of a job we were doing, they probably rehire us as contractors until there’s funding to hire us as employees and to make sure and stick around. They are working on hiring a contractor and an employee currently. I applied for the job but didn’t get selected for interview and my coworker applied and got an interview. I was told to apply for the contractor position because I don’t have a degree and that is the only way in for me unless I would be willing to take a substantial pay decrease. I’m sure the plan was to hire my coworker and get me aboard as a contractor. I have a email where my boss here cc’d me and it shows how much the future contracting company’s bid is. It also weird to note that this all took place before they notified my current company that they wouldn’t be exercising the one year option. Then after this all happened we didn’t get paid and reported it and got threatened.

quincy

I think your best course of action is to have the facts personally reviewed by a legal professional in your area - although you can go ahead and report your employer to the proper authorities for an investigation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">