• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filed for contempt of court order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

As you all know my husband was having some issues with paying child support and is currently 5 months behind on it. However, he supply his son with clothes, shoes, socks, coat and anything he need. The child's mother says "that's not gonna cut it and that he still need to pay his support".

Question: When he goes to court can a judge make him pay back support if he keep receipts and if she waited too long to find him in contempt? Or will the judge just excuse the past 5 months and make him pay for current?

Thanks

cyjeff

We cannot predict the future.

However, his duty was clear. He should have paid child support regardless of any gifts he gave the child.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

As you all know my husband was having some issues with paying child support and is currently 5 months behind on it. However, he supply his son with clothes, shoes, socks, coat and anything he need. The child's mother says "that's not gonna cut it and that he still need to pay his support".

Question: When he goes to court can a judge make him pay back support if he keep receipts and if she waited too long to find him in contempt? Or will the judge just excuse the past 5 months and make him pay for current?

Thanks
So... wait... Did the order give him a choice as to how he would pay his support? Either as money to Mom or stuff for the kid?

I think Dad is in for a rude awakening when Mom takes him to court.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Thanks
Yes your deadbeat husband needs to pay support and not just clothes and crap -- those are gifts. SUPPORT is court ordered. And the judge will NOT excuse the past five months. She didn't wait too long if she takes him before the child turns 18. Your husband NEEDS to go to jail -- it may put some sense into him. I thought you were paying his support for him anyway?

Hey guys remember who the OP is.

wileybunch

The "Or will the judge just excuse ..." part should bring it all flooding back for anyone who wasn't sure ....

OP, please. Stop coming with these scenarios that include OR .... {can my deadbeat husband manage to keep being a deadbeat} scenarios. You're wasting everyone's time.

Only two words of advice needed for your DH:

Man up.

Last edited:

futuredust

Thanks
He needs to eat, he needs shelter, he needs medical care, he needs heat in the winter.. all things covered by child support.

He will be found in contempt, most likely have to pay a contempt fine, possibly sit in jail as well. He will then have his child support adjusted to include arrears on top of court ordered support.

I cannot believe someone here has as many posts as you do and does not know the answer to that question..

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
He needs to eat, he needs shelter, he needs medical care, he needs heat in the winter.. all things covered by child support.

He will be found in contempt, most likely have to pay a contempt fine, possibly sit in jail as well. He will then have his child support adjusted to include arrears on top of court ordered support.

I cannot believe someone here has as many posts as you do and does not know the answer to that question..
Read her history in the threads she has started. She doesn't care about facts. All she cares about is causing trouble for the baby's mother and making excuses for her deadbeat hubby.

truebluemd

Your husband needs to bring the entire amount of back support plus money for a fine becasue he wil likelyl be found in contempt.

If your are paying his support, I suggest you round up the money for the back support or for bail, and, if he doesnt have it, you can expect his monthly child support to go up as they tack on those 5 months worth of payments as arrears to his current payment.

Dont expect a tax refund either.

Yes, I read her story. I sighed when I saw her screen name before I even opened the post.

Nativity

I'm guessing your Husband never got his "barbar" license, pity.

I feel really bad for these two children that got stuck having your Husband as their "Dad."

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Thanks
Your husband is on the hook for any and all past due child support. Are you still supporting that waste of flesh and paying his CS? :rolleyes:

CJane

Your husband is on the hook for any and all past due child support. Are you still supporting that waste of flesh and paying his CS? :rolleyes:
Obviously not, if he's 5months in arrears.

Ya know, OP, I felt bad for you when I thought you were like 18 and just figuring out how the world works. I thought maybe you got sucked in by this guy and you were believing the things he was telling you because you loooove him.

But aren't you like 36 years old????

I'm done telling you to dump his ass before his actions affect YOU - because clearly you LIKE what is happening in his life, and therefore in yours.

But stop it. No one here can help your husband continue to be a deadbeat. That's just NOT the way the world works.

Yes your deadbeat husband needs to pay support and not just clothes and crap -- those are gifts. SUPPORT is court ordered. And the judge will NOT excuse the past five months. She didn't wait too long if she takes him before the child turns 18. Your husband NEEDS to go to jail -- it may put some sense into him. I thought you were paying his support for him anyway?

No I stopped paying it because we now have our daughter...I have the house note, car note and other things that need taking care of. He is still in school but that's what being a wife is all about supporting your man. And yes, I told him he needs to figure out what he will do becuase I can't do it all by myself.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No I stopped paying it because we now have our daughter...I have the house note, car note and other things that need taking care of. He is still in school but that's what being a wife is all about supporting your man. And yes, I told him he needs to figure out what he will do becuase I can't do it all by myself.
Supporting your man doesn't mean carrying the load yourself. He should be carrying his portion of it -- including supporting his wife and child. Support is two fold -- not just one direction. Your marriage is only going to last until he gets out of school. Or until you force him to get a job. Then he will file for divorce and most likely sue for alimony. At least that is what the FA Crystal Ball is telling me.

wileybunch

De ja vu ...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">