• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Financial Questions Guardian Mental Incapacitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mtnstyne

What is the name of your state? Montana

I'll be straight to the point. Father-in-law can no longer take care of himself and there is no family who is able/willing to do so. He doesn't have much in property, but it's all the entire family has. My wife is an only child and will probably be appointed guardian if he is declared incompetent.

If she is declared the guardian, and he is put in an adult-care facility, what will be the financial liabilities for her as the guardian/only child? Will all his property be seized and sold to pay for the care? Can they go after her for additional costs?

The sad thing about this situation is all he has ever worked for may be taken and she and her mother will have nothing from it. I am equally concerned that someone may also try to have claim to try and have me and my wife pay any additional costs...

thanks in advance, I will probably have to contact an attorney on Monday but thought I would get a jump on things here first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">