• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired, but is "keeping me on payroll" instead of Severence Package ???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JLC4444

What is the name of your state? ILLINOIS

I was fired last week. My boss said that the company (a small start-up) would offer me 6 weeks of severence pay in the form of "keeping me on payroll as an employee, including health benefits" for the period of 6 weeks. IT will be just like I am employed with direct deposit of my paycheck at the appropraite times. However, I was fired. ???? :confused: I would be labeled as "on the payroll but looking for a job" and "available for questions about what I was working on". First, I never used the health benefts. Secondly, I think he is only doing this to get out of me filing for Unemployment.

Can he do this? Is this legal? What are my options? Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is not only legal, it is FAR more than he is required to do for you. It's not going to stop you from being eligible for unemployment - it only means that you aren't eligible for six weeks (and will be eligible for six weeks longer). As for not using the health benefits, what happens if you get hit by a bus tomorrow?

But you know what? If he'd given you the standard package of six weeks severance in a single lump sum check and nothing else, in most states you STILL wouldn't be able to collect unemployment until that six weeks was exhausted. He's not hurting you any.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">