• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for death in the family

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pattytx

Sure ain't. I mean, isn't. :cool:
And I've got a lazy I'd LOVE to fire! Of course, I can't, because no one up until me has ever documented anything. Plus, she'd grieve it to the union 6 days from Sunday. Ah, government. :p

BelizeBreeze

pattytx said:
Sure ain't. I mean, isn't. :cool:
And I've got a lazy I'd LOVE to fire! Of course, I can't, because no one up until me has ever documented anything. Plus, she'd grieve it to the union 6 days from Sunday. Ah, government. :p
My Brother is president of a local Railroad union and he's about to tell them all to KISS OFF....he's beginning to hate the Union.

So, I feel for ya.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just to get back to the question at hand, no Federal law and no law in any state requires an employer to provide bereavement time off, paid or unpaid. It is entirely up to the employer.

FMLA is completely separate. FMLA is not available for use for a death in the family. It MIGHT (depending on circumstances) have been available to care for the family member BEFORE death. BUt at the family member's death, FMLA ends. It may be cold and uncaring, but that's how the law reads.

JETX

BelizeBreeze said:
There are a lot of people who come here thinking they know something about the law.

Most don't learn they don't know squat.
Yep... and the problem is.... most of them realize how great this site is... then stick around giving their INCORRECT advice to other posters. Then, when called on their ignorance.... they get all pissed off.

We had one guy on here the other day (now gone) who admitted to all kinds of crimes (theft, assault, etc. and was prepared to flee the country when the cops came for him)..... and then started giving advice to other posters. It is pretty incredible how some people can come on here virtually legally naive... then become 'instant lawyers' and post wrong information to others. :eek:

panzertanker

BelizeBreeze said:
But I also have people working for me who earn in excess of $130,000 a year ;)

That ain't bad in Tennessee and Arkansas
Is that all???

To put up with you they deserve more, ya cheapskate!
:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">