• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired over the phone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tattoovixen

What is the name of your state? Arizona

Is it legal for an employer to call an employee and fire them? I was under the impression that the employee had to be at work on a regular work day (and not have been called in to work) in order for an employer to fire the person. Is this true?

Sockeye

No, that is not true. There are a couple of states that require termination in writing but AZ is not one. Over the phone is legal.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sockeye, which states require termination in writing?

I am aware of about a dozen states that require that UPON REQUEST the employer provide a service letter which includes the reason for termination, but I wasn't aware of any that required that the termination itself be done in writing.

I'm not saying you're wrong; I'm asking a question. :)

tattoovixen said:
What is the name of your state? Arizona

Is it legal for an employer to call an employee and fire them? I was under the impression that the employee had to be at work on a regular work day (and not have been called in to work) in order for an employer to fire the person. Is this true?
I know in PA you can be terminated by phone as it had happened to me Sunday, May 16, 2004 @ 10:04 am, just under 4 hours before I was to report for my shift. . They figured it would spare themselves a confrontation. Termination by phone is not the smartest thing in the world to do but from an employer's POV, it is the safest.

fedupharassee

General Stoner said:
I know in PA you can be terminated by phone as it had happened to me Sunday, May 16, 2004 @ 10:04 am, just under 4 hours before I was to report for my shift. . They figured it would spare themselves a confrontation. Termination by phone is not the smartest thing in the world to do but from an employer's POV, it is the safest.
I live in Illinois, and I was fired over the phone. I could not get out of my home due to flooding. The co. even had a severe weather policy They (supposedly) abide by. Is this legal??

Sockeye

fedupharassee said:
I live in Illinois, and I was fired over the phone. I could not get out of my home due to flooding. The co. even had a severe weather policy They (supposedly) abide by. Is this legal??
Firing of the phone? Yes

Fired because of flooding? Yes, Illinois, like most states in employment "at will" which means an employer can you let you go for any reason, or no reason at all. Just because they had a policy they can use discretion to overide any policies.

Unfair, ethically wrong, but legal.

fedupharassee

Thank you for the info. (sad as it was). I wonder, Does it matter if we were declared a state of emergency. Also, the county closed our roads(put up signs in water anyway). Well, thought I would see if it matters. Thanks in advance. Have a great day.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There's a slight possibility that if you were fired for not coming to work when a state of emergency had been declared and the county had closed the roads, that MIGHT be considered a violation of public policy. I am not making ANY guarantees but it might be worth your while to run it past your state DOL. Much will depend on exactly how your state defines a state of emergency and exactly how it was presented; for example, were all non-essential workers REQUIRED to stay off the roads or REQUESTED to stay off the roads, etc.

fedupharassee

You could not even tell that there were roads leading to our house. We live in the country, on a curve. The road was gone.it looked like we live in the middle of a river. We were stuck for 4 days. It was only after we could get out (still having to wade and drive through water), that we saw the signs posted on the other side of water. It was another week later that the state of emergency was declared. (illinois) I hope this is enough info.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You're going to have to give your info to the state DOL. I have no idea what the definition of a state of emergency in your state might be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">