• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First and last payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CA

I got into a mini fender bender. I plan on paying the guy $200 to get his car fixed. I wanted to know, are there any provision / statement / agreement he can sign so that he cannot come back for more money if the damages are more than $200?

The $200 came from my insurance adjuster's estimate as to how much it would cost to fix the scratch.

thanks,
Joseph

seniorjudge

Have everyone who owns the car (ask to see the title) sign this:

This is in full and complete satisfaction of damages for an accident that happened on [date], at [time], at [location].

The amount of $200.00 will be paid by [your name] to [their names] and no other amount will be paid since this is in satisfaction of all personal damages or property damages.

Everybody (including you) should sign and date two originals. You keep one and give the other one (and the dough) to the guy.

moburkes

Considering that you've already notified the insurance company, you might as well let them pay the $200.

isue4you2

The wording in #2 is not sufficient in California to bar a future bodily injury claim. Ask your adjuster for the release he uses.

thanks SeniorJudge.

>>Considering that you've already notified the insurance company, you might as well let them pay the $200.
I can always pull the claim back. Also I don't want insurance to pay since my insurance will go up approx $150 per 6months for 3 years.

>> The wording in #2 is not sufficient in California to bar a future bodily injury claim. Ask your adjuster for the release he uses.

The adjuster say she doesn't use any forms? She suggested going to staples to buy legal forms.

thanks all,
Joseph

moburkes

Since the state of CA does not have a threshhold, the insurance company will probably add that accident to your driving record REGARDLESS of who pays (you vs insurance company).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">