• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First interview a bust, second interview TBD

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HappyHusband

Texas.
My wife and I went to our first interview in Houston for adjustment of status in March. She came here on a K-1 visa and we were married in July 2004. The agent cancelled the interview when I could not interpret for my wife. We failed to take an interpreter with us. We finally received the new appointment letter for June.
The new letter requires different documentation not previously required, such as bills and invoices with both of our names at our home address. How important is it to have these documents? If I had known that we needed this kind of documentation, I would have changed the names on all the utility accounts when we were married.
Also, we will get a joint bank account soon. Will this look as if we are trying to "fabricate" evidence? The only documents that we have proving co-habitation for the past year is our marriage certificate with our home address and our 2004 federal income tax return.
I don't even have health insurance coverage showing both of us, since I just started a new job with a 90-day waiting period for enrollment.
Also, during the first interview the agent confiscated my wife's original I-94 card and placed it loosely in my wife's file. Luckily, I made copies. When I asked for the I-94 card back, the agent said "She's not getting it back!". The agent also scrawled "CWOP" over my wife's K-1 visa in her passport. What does "CWOP" mean, and what are the ramifications of not having her original I-94?
I would appreciate any help or advice.
Thank you.

Last edited:

evcalyptos

HappyHusband said:
Texas.
My wife and I went to our first interview in Houston for adjustment of status in March. She came here on a K-1 visa and we were married in July 2004. The agent cancelled the interview when I could not interpret for my wife. We failed to take an interpreter with us. We finally received the new appointment letter for June.
The new letter requires different documentation not previously required, such as bills and invoices with both of our names at our home address. How important is it to have these documents? If I had known that we needed this kind of documentation, I would have changed the names on all the utility accounts when we were married.
Also, we will get a joint bank account soon. Will this look as if we are trying to "fabricate" evidence? The only documents that we have proving co-habitation for the past year is our marriage certificate with our home address and our 2004 federal income tax return.
I don't even have health insurance coverage showing both of us, since I just started a new job with a 90-day waiting period for enrollment.
Also, during the first interview the agent confiscated my wife's original I-94 card and placed it loosely in my wife's file. Luckily, I made copies. When I asked for the I-94 card back, the agent said "She's not getting it back!". The agent also scrawled "CWOP" over my wife's K-1 visa in her passport. What does "CWOP" mean, and what are the ramifications of not having her original I-94?
I would appreciate any help or advice.
Thank you.
CWOP = Cancelled Without Predjudice, which is applicable in her case as the K-1 is a single-entry visa and she used that entry.

The documentation mentioined in the 2nd letter is normal for an AOS interview. Your job (the 2 of you) is to make sure that you present a case of a bonafide marriage; the documents suggested are ways to prove your case.

All that you can provide is what you have. Take a good look around and look for documentary evidence that you have a genuine shared life. This is different for every couple, so no one can really tell you what to bring.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">