• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First time in small claims lawsuit - loaned $7,000 and ghosted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
no doubt. i enjoy holding people accountable. i may never see $1 but to know what theyve had to go through to this point to fight this has been satisfying.

bad people have to be held accountable.
I understand the sentiment, but I think you're throwing good money after bad. Your quest to serve justice, if unsuccessful, won't hold the other party accountable, rather, they'd likely laugh about getting one over on you, again.

quincy

no doubt. i enjoy holding people accountable. i may never see $1 but to know what theyve had to go through to this point to fight this has been satisfying.

Although I know your pursuit of this debt has cost you time, money and more than a little aggravation, please simply follow the procedures for collecting on the judgment and try to forget all thoughts of social media “revenge.”

You, after all, were the one who willingly and knowingly (and perhaps illogically) loaned money to an unemployed fellow purportedly about to lose his house. Red flags should have been flying all over the place.

adjusterjack

QUESTION - Can i file a separate suit against her since I also know her employer, for wage garnishment? If so, should that new lawsuit be against both of them or just her this time?
You get one lawsuit against whoever you allege to be a party to the loan. Otherwise you may get sanctioned for abuse of process and harassment.

QUESTION - Is there a service that can find employers and social security numbers from tax filings, etc? I need that info for the wage garnishment paperwork.
A background check may yield employers but you can forget about getting social security numbers.

Also, looking forward to when their social network reads all about the details of what she and her husband have done
Avoid posting stuff like that. You could end up being sued for defamation. Even if you post only truth, nothing prevents the lawsuit from arriving at your door. Then it will cost you tens of thousands in attorney fees to defend even if you are right.

additionally i understand i can file a "garnishment other than wages at a bank, credit union, or other financial institution".
Yes.

just so happens i have his TD Ameritrade fall into this category? i believe yes.
If it's not an IRA or Roth or some other protected investment account.

You're getting way ahead of yourself.

You haven't won the lawsuit yet.

Bali Hai Again

My wife and I just “loaned” a significant amount of money to our Credit Union that we belong to. Certificate of deposits (CD’s). I used to shrug off CD’s until the past few months. The interest will earn us double the $7k that you loaned out. You may not find that “exciting” but when it comes time to collect the “loan” back plus interest I am 100% certain I won’t have any of the drama that you have had nor would I want it.

SmallClaimsHelp

Although I know your pursuit of this debt has cost you time, money and more than a little aggravation, please simply follow the procedures for collecting on the judgment and try to forget all thoughts of social media “revenge.”

You, after all, were the one who willingly and knowingly (and perhaps illogically) loaned money to an unemployed fellow purportedly about to lose his house. Red flags should have been flying all over the place.
the money was loaned to him and his employed wife as was discussed on the phone with them and the messages to him in writing

SmallClaimsHelp

My wife and I just “loaned” a significant amount of money to our Credit Union that we belong to. Certificate of deposits (CD’s). I used to shrug off CD’s until the past few months. The interest will earn us double the $7k that you loaned out. You may not find that “exciting” but when it comes time to collect the “loan” back plus interest I am 100% certain I won’t have any of the drama that you have had nor would I want it.

yep. my family does the same. but now that they are guilty officially in the court of law we are serving justice.

SmallClaimsHelp

is there a time frame the wage garnishment, etc have to be filed by? I'm wroking through the process of wage garnishment, collection from bank / investments and lien on house, some of which requires notary and employment information, etc

quincy

is there a time frame the wage garnishment, etc have to be filed by? I'm wroking through the process of wage garnishment, collection from bank / investments and lien on house, some of which requires notary and employment information, etc
There was a link about the garnishment process provided earlier in your thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">