• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida partition action - girlfriend breakup

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

StressedinFL

krispenstpeter said:
except for court costs and attorney fees being taxed to defendent, not really.

As to the attorney who sent you the faxed copy of the law book, did he also mention that her paying the utilities, living in the home and cleaning it, cutting the grass and anything else she did to maintain the home also has value? I don't think so.
No, but he did mention a partition action that he just worked on that was very similar. The person trying to claim electric bill, etc, were told they were consumable - as in, you used the electricity, so you paid for it, and they received zero credit. I have no problem reimbursing her for my share of the electric/water/lawn bills. Especially when I paid ALL of those in addition to the mortgage for 7 months while she was unemployed last year. I make 2x what she does, and have paid for virtually everything with this house, save the electric bill for a few months. (remember, she has 2 kids also - and they need electricity and water, etc) I can't beleive that if I put up 78% of the down payment that she's going to walk away with a 50% share free and clear.

I wish I knew what the courts considered fair in instances like this so we can avoid giving all of our money to lawyers. Perhaps arbitration/mediation is the best way right now.

K

krispenstpeter

I wish I knew what the courts considered fair in instances like this
So do I. Then I wouldn't be laying on the beach I'd be sitting at the blackjack table :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">