• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Flu shot required

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Annibale

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC

My mom works in a neurologist's office that is part of a large hospital system. This year they are requiring all employees get a flu shot or be terminated. Is this legal? Does she have any recourse? She's 54 years old and has never had one before. My paternal grandmother got Guillain Barre Syndrome when I was young, so no one in my family has or will ever choose to get a flu shot. Please tell me there's some way for my mom to get around this requirement?

Thanks!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
ecmst12 will have more information on this but if your mom works in the medical field she may not have a choice. The hospital has to be concerned about not only your mom's situation, but also the patients who might be exposed to the illness if your mom gets it.

xylene

My paternal grandmother got Guillain Barre Syndrome when I was young, so no one in my family has or will ever choose to get a flu shot.
1- Paternal means on your fathers side... So their is no connection to mom's risk genetically, and science says their isn't a genetic factor at all as GBS does not run in families.

2- Your mom does not have a choice.

Guillain Barre Syndrome is an extremely rare condition, and their is strong evidence from epidemiological records to support the conclusion that GBS is not causally related vaccines of any kind.

It is however moderately correlated to severe cases of the flu interestingly enough.

I heard of something that prevents that. :rolleyes:

ecmst12

Most employers in the medical field are requiring flu shots now. It's not about the employee, it's about the patients.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">