• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Force to resign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Was I wrongfully terminated, No.

or are they correct in saying "my verbal resignation was accepted"? Yes.

Terminated means you no longer work there. If you resigned, yours was a voluntary termination. There is nothing at all wrongful here.

swalsh411

"I've been with the company 13 years and unfortunately it will be ending soon"

If that is literally what you said then I don't think that's a resignation.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Whether it is or not, it's not a wrongful termination either.

Just so the OP is clear.

W

Willlyjo

Was I wrongfully terminated, No.

or are they correct in saying "my verbal resignation was accepted"? Yes.

Terminated means you no longer work there. If you resigned, yours was a voluntary termination. There is nothing at all wrongful here.
Whether the OP was wrongfully terminated or not is not known. The Op has been employed for 13 years! There could be a handbook describing progressive discipline leading up to termination that has to be for just cause. There could be reasons that could enable the Op to rebute employment "at will". We don't know one way or the other. For you to just come out and say the Op has not wrongful termination may not be accurate.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Nothing the poster has described supports a wrongful termination. Do you like that better, William Joseph?

There is no requirement that they offer ANY severance.
this would be wrong and subject to any type of employment agreement in which you signed. All companies have them and they detail what you are entitled to in regards to vacation, personal days, etc. etc.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, all companies do not have them and no, severance agreements rarely are what outlines that is due in terms of vacation or paid time off. Not all companies even had employment agreements. Do you even know what severance is?

W

Willlyjo

Nothing the poster has described supports a wrongful termination. Do you like that better, William Joseph?
Hmmm...is the fact that you are calling me William Joseph, a subtle way of telling me you know my identity? If so, go ahead and tell everyone. I have nothing to hide and I'm really pretty transparent. In fact, it is possible that I could become well-known in the not-too-distant future, as a result of my careful manuevering in an attempt to lead a legitimate campaign against drug-abuse. Time will tell. :)

No, all companies do not have them and no, severance agreements rarely are what outlines that is due in terms of vacation or paid time off. Not all companies even had employment agreements. Do you even know what severance is?
How do you know he did not sign an agreement? Every company I have ever seen has them so why would they not? If he has been there 13 years then he would usually get a week or maybe two for every year of employment.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I don't know that he didn't. You don't know that he did. He hasn't mentioned one - don't you think he would have? Contrary to what you evidently believe, your experience is not universal.

And even if everything you suggest is true, and he signed an agreement which guaranteed him severance pay and the payout of unused PTO, it does not change the fact that he has posted absolutely nothing to suggest that is termination was illegal. At best, such an agreement would mean that he *might* be due some final compensation. It would have nothing whatsoever to do with the legality of the termination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">