• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Forced" to pay mortgage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

penelope10

Well LD, all I have to say is that if is up to the buyer to do research. When we first moved to my community many years ago my ex and I could not figure out how on earth all these folks afforded these enormous homes. That their teenage sons and daughters were driving BMW's and Hummers. It was because they were mortgaged to the hilt and had maxed out their credit. When the tech bubble burst several years ago ( many of these folks worked for these types of cos) these were the first folks we saw loose their homes and their cars etc.

I call it in my community plainly living beyond one's means. And I think a lot of these folks knew it and simply did not care. (My Dad called it keeping up with the Jones's).

If one cannot afford to live in a certain community they should find one that is more affordable to them. Or if they are hell bent on living in that community renting is another option or buying a smaller more affordable home.

Op and husband were separated for three years. It's a shame that they did not just go ahead and get a divorce then. The house could have been sold and they would have recouped the money they paid for the home at that time. I will say, however, that not all homes cost $400K in CA. Depends on the area one wants to live in.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">