• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

forcing tenant to remove up-high blinds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mauricev

My landlord wants to replace my windows.

They are demanding that I remove the blinds for them. Except that some for some of the windows, they are way high up and I had them professionally installed. They were literally telling me to get a ladder and do it myself. Can they legally require me to remove blinds for them? (This is something the window installers can do themselves trivially. And after they're removed, I'd also have to put them back. Hell I am not even sure they need to even completely remove them.)

This is Westchester NY.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ask if the window installers will do it for you and bill you for the cost.

Zigner

Why should I be responsible for paying for doing what essentially amounts to what is part of the job?
Because it doesn't seem that it is part of their job.
You installed the blinds, you need to remove them.

EDIT: When I say "you installed," I mean that you caused them to be installed.

LdiJ

Because it doesn't seem that it is part of their job.
You installed the blinds, you need to remove them.

EDIT: When I say "you installed," I mean that you caused them to be installed.
I may or may not agree with you Zig depending on all kinds of info not in evidence. For example, if there is no emergent need to replace the windows, then perhaps the landlord should be responsible for both un-installing and reinstalling the blinds. If there is an emergent situation then perhaps the landlord (or the landlord's insurance) should still be responsible depending on the actual facts of the matter. Why should the tenant incur cost and hassle to do something based on the landlord's decision to replace the windows during their tenancy or in an emergent situation that was not the fault of the tenant?

It is possible that the tenant should be responsible to un-install and reinstall the blinds, particularly if the tenant is demanding the replacement of the windows in a non-emergent situation, but it is equally possible that the tenant should not be.

quincy

My landlord wants to replace my windows.

They are demanding that I remove the blinds for them. Except that some for some of the windows, they are way high up and I had them professionally installed. They were literally telling me to get a ladder and do it myself. Can they legally require me to remove blinds for them? (This is something the window installers can do themselves trivially. And after they're removed, I'd also have to put them back. Hell I am not even sure they need to even completely remove them.)

This is Westchester NY.
What covered the windows prior to your installation of the blinds? Did your landlord give you permission originally to install these blinds or did you just decide to add blinds on your own?

If you did not get prior permission from the landlord to install the blinds or to add or replace any type of landlord-provided window covering, you are responsible for the removal of the blinds you installed.

LdiJ

What covered the windows prior to your installation of the blinds? Did your landlord give you permission originally to install these blinds or did you just decide to add blinds on your own?

If you did not get prior permission from the landlord to install the blinds or to add or replace any type of landlord-provided window covering, you are responsible for the removal of the blinds you installed.
Maybe. If the landlord did not provide window coverings that the OP replaced (common) then perhaps not.

quincy

Maybe. If the landlord did not provide window coverings that the OP replaced (common) then perhaps not.
I asked the questions for a reason. :)

IF the landlord did not provide any sort of window coverings, the choice of window coverings might be left up to the tenant - but that also means the removal of the window coverings chosen by the tenant is the responsibility of the tenant.

Zigner

I asked the questions for a reason. :)

IF the landlord did not provide any sort of window coverings, the choice of window coverings might be left up to the tenant - but that also means the removal of the window coverings chosen by the tenant is the responsibility of the tenant.
And if the tenant actually removed the window coverings that were previously there in order to install window coverings of their choosing, that would also be on the tenant.

quincy

And if the tenant actually removed the window coverings that were previously there in order to install window coverings of their choosing, that would also be on the tenant.
Usually anything installed by a tenant must be removed by a tenant at the end of the lease, and the rental needs to be returned to the same condition it was in at the start of the lease. This includes any painting of rooms in colors not original to the unit (e.g., basic white walls painted blue by tenant must be repainted basic white prior to exit) and any change in lighting fixtures or window treatments. This is true even if the tenant-changes improve the appearance of the rental.

Anything not original to the rental that the landlord must repair, replace, uninstall, reinstall, can have the costs of doing so charged to the exiting tenant.

LdiJ

Usually anything installed by a tenant must be removed by a tenant at the end of the lease, and the rental needs to be returned to the same condition it was in at the start of the lease. This includes any painting of rooms in colors not original to the unit (e.g., basic white walls painted blue by tenant must be repainted basic white prior to exit) and any change in lighting fixtures or window treatments. This is true even if the tenant-changes improve the appearance of the rental.

Anything not original to the rental that the landlord must repair, replace, uninstall, reinstall, can have the costs of doing so charged to the exiting tenant.
Absolutely, but this is not a case of a tenant moving out and taking down anything he/she put up in order to return the home to the landlord in the same condition that it was received. This is a case of a landlord, during the course of a tenancy, replacing the windows. You are saying that the tenant is responsible for the cost/hassle of taking down the window treatments, and then putting up new or the same window treatments after the new windows are installed. I disagree that it is the tenant's responsibility to do that in most circumstances. A tenant is not responsible for costs associated with a choice made by the landlord during their tenancy.

Also, not everything that a tenant might install is allowed to be removed by the tenant at the end of a lease. Many things become the landlord's property once installed. Some lighting fixtures, ceiling fans and many other things should NOT be removed by a tenant without the landlord's agreement at the end of a lease. I know that doesn't apply in this scenario but it needed to be said for the sake of others who may read this thread.

Zigner

Absolutely, but this is not a case of a tenant moving out and taking down anything he/she put up in order to return the home to the landlord in the same condition that it was received. This is a case of a landlord, during the course of a tenancy, replacing the windows. You are saying that the tenant is responsible for the cost/hassle of taking down the window treatments, and then putting up new or the same window treatments after the new windows are installed. I disagree that it is the tenant's responsibility to do that in most circumstances. A tenant is not responsible for costs associated with a choice made by the landlord during their tenancy.

Also, not everything that a tenant might install is allowed to be removed by the tenant at the end of a lease. Many things become the landlord's property once installed. Some lighting fixtures, ceiling fans and many other things should NOT be removed by a tenant without the landlord's agreement at the end of a lease. I know that doesn't apply in this scenario but it needed to be said for the sake of others who may read this thread.
When I was a renter and changed out fixtures, I would save the old ones to put back in as I was leaving.

LdiJ

When I was a renter and changed out fixtures, I would save the old ones to put back in as I was leaving.
That works if the landlord doesn't object. However, the law, pretty much across the board state-wise says that once something is installed, it belongs to the property/landlord.

adjusterjack

That works if the landlord doesn't object. However, the law, pretty much across the board state-wise says that once something is installed, it belongs to the property/landlord.
Further complicated by a lease possibly saying otherwise.

quincy

This is not a house purchased or sold by the tenant. It is a rental unit owned by the landlord/property owner. Different standards apply. The rental lease governs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">