• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Foregin Jurisdiction Rulings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dah1986

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii and Washington.

What power would a court ruling (civil) from a foreign jurisdiction (Australia) have here in the United States (for both states mentioned) in terms of ability to seize assets and the like?

If you can only answer one or the other, that will be fine.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii and Washington.

What power would a court ruling (civil) from a foreign jurisdiction (Australia) have here in the United States (for both states mentioned) in terms of ability to seize assets and the like?

If you can only answer one or the other, that will be fine.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

That's really too open of a question - could you be more specific?

For example - a child support order out of Australia could be enforced in the US and assets seized in accordance with either HI or WA law.

dah1986

As I mentioned elsewhere, family politics. I do not want to get into it a whole great deal owing to the fact that I do not know who you really are.

A very general open answer will suit me fine. This will give me a better idea where to look and research it applicable to the finer points of my situation. I did mention that these were "business" debts. They are non-tax related and the government is not involved at all i.e. two private parties.

Would any court decision out of another country have power over my US held assets or anything of the like.

I say "phantom" because I had nothing to with this debt at all. If anything illegal is going on, I am the victim. I just want to be prepared to fight if needs be.

That's the most I will mention, a general answer will suit me just fine (it will give me an idea where to look).

LdiJ

As I mentioned elsewhere, family politics. I do not want to get into it a whole great deal owing to the fact that I do not know who you really are.

A very general open answer will suit me fine. This will give me a better idea where to look and research it applicable to the finer points of my situation. I did mention that these were "business" debts. They are non-tax related and the government is not involved at all i.e. two private parties.

Would any court decision out of another country have power over my US held assets or anything of the like.

I say "phantom" because I had nothing to with this debt at all. If anything illegal is going on, I am the victim. I just want to be prepared to fight if needs be.

That's the most I will mention, a general answer will suit me just fine (it will give me an idea where to look).
Technically a foreign court does not have any jurisdiction over assets in another country. However, many times there are treaties in place between countries that require one country to assist in enforcing courts orders of another country.

I doubt if anyone knows for certain here, whether or not such a treaty is in place between the US and Austrailia. However some portions of the Hague Convention do address business dealings so you might want to research that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">