• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forgery?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rb4minus1

What is the name of your state? Colorado

Going through nasty divorce. Husband wants everything - house, 401k, cars, etc. 3 years ago I forged his name to $1100 check received from a credit card company and deposited into JOINT checking account to pay mortgage. (He was doing serious $ in drugs). Now he is threatening to have me arrested for forgery because of this check... Can he do this - even though I deposited into JOINT checking account? To pay the mortgage?:confused:What is the name of your state?

CdwJava

I don't know what the specific statute says in your state, but i doubt a DA is going to go after you for putting his money into his account. And the fact that you were married and property is community property anyway only adds to the lack of excitement the police and the DA will feel.

Is it POSSIBLE that you could get charged? Sure. is it likely? With just this tidbit of info, I'd say, no.

If he does file, contact an attorney before speaking to the police.

- Carl

garrula lingua

No Prosecutor will file that.
(I sign my husband's name better than he does. If they check his signature, he'll be told his signing is the fake !)

Besides, you deposited it into a JOINT checking acct - ergo, he got the money !

Relax.

CdwJava

Yep. My DA wouldn't even look at this sort of thing. We forward it to the DA for CYA, but they never get filed. This sort of allegation is almost a guarantee in ugly divorce or seperation cases.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">